Late 20’s & scared. Have to get breast lump removed. Pics of ultrasound.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a (almost) 28 year old female with no history of breast or ovarian cancer but do have multiple other cancer related deaths within my family.

I've had a lump in my right breast for 5+ years. I always thought it was a fibrocystic thing and nothing to worry about. I have dense breasts and cysts but the lump in question is not a cyst or a fibroadenoma.

I got an ultrasound of it on January 17th, 2022 and the radiologist said I need to get a biopsy due to the irregular borders. So they got me in 2 days later and I had the core needle biopsy done.

The results came back a bit unclear. The report says "Fibroepithelial lesion versus papilloma (see comment)" then "The lesion is approximately 6 mm in greatest dimension and has an ambiguous growth pattern. The pattern of growth raises the differential of a fibroepithelial lesion versus a papilloma. The ducts show usual hyperplasia. I recommend conservative excision."

When my doctor called with the results she said "we're not in the clear yet until it's excised for further evaluation. We aren't exactly sure what type of tumor it is and because there's a small chance it could have cancerous or precancerous cells within it, it needs to be removed."

On February 14th, I had my surgery consultation. My surgeon is leaning towards a papilloma. She'll be removing the entire lump along with some surrounding breast tissue.

I have severe anxiety and panic attacks and am not looking forward to the day of surgery but I know it has to be done. So, I'm scheduled for the 24th.

Any radiologists here? What's your opinion on the ultrasound images?

Pathologists? What exactly does the report mean in simpler terms?

Anyway... wish me luck! Thanks for reading.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there!

I recently had a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound that showed a solid mass that looks similar in some ways to the ultrasound images you posted. They have me scheduled for a biopsy in 2 weeks, and like you, I am super anxious about it! I wanted to check in and see if you were able to get any more solid answers on a diagnosis?

Hoping everything turned out okay xx

Jess

• Posted

Hi,

I hope it went well.

Give us some news!

M-E

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.