Late Colonscopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had my first colonscopy 2 years ago and was found positive for a pre-cancerous polyp and other benign polyps that were removed, was told to come back next year, which was last year, same results another positive result that was removed. I was supposed to be due for another colonscopy this March, but I'll be having spine surgery soon that'll put me out for about 3-4 months. Should I have the colonscopy done first or is it ok to be overdue a couple months?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would have the colponoscopy first because it will put your mind at rest and you are not going to feel much like having it done immediately after a lengthy recuperation from your surgery. As to whether it would matter, our opinions don't really count because you only know for sure if it really mattered when you have it done if you leave it till it is overdue. Even if the chance of it mattering is small why take any risk?

• Posted

I stress I am not a doctor but I did look up pre-cancerous polyps on the net and found this from the American College of Gastroenterology.

"The precancerous polyp which can turn into a cancer is called an adenoma.

How long does it take a colon polyp to grow into a cancer?

Current theories propose it will take about 10 years for a small adenoma to transform into a cancer. That is why the standard interval for screening colonoscopy is 10 years. However, the time interval may be shorter for patients with a hereditary form of colon cancer (like familial adenomatous polyposis or hereditary non polyposis colorectal cancer) or inflammatory bowel disease. The recommended intervals are general guidelines and may not apply to every patient."

This suggest that unless there is a family history you would be safe to delay a few months. Having said that you have been called for screening more frequently than every 10 years. I think if it were me and the endoscopy department could fit me in before the spinal surgery I'd get it done for peace of mind. If for any reason your surgery has complications which delayed your recovery it would just be another worry. All the best.

• Posted

I really think a colonscopy should come first ,but that is less invasion. Then you will be good for a other year.
  • Posted

I really think a colonscopy should come first ,because that is less invasion. Then you will be good for a other year.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.