Late diagnosis for shingles's

Posted , 6 users are following.

I developed a spot on my arm and thought it was a spider bite about a week later it was so painful I went to the doctor and by then they were a few more spots. She didn't know what it was and said to use Cortizone cream. It took about three weeks to get the diagnosis from an ER doctor. By then it was in my scalp my eyebrow my arm across my back and if you want my leg. I was given an antiviral for five days. I went back to the ER because of the pain and they said it was a bacterial infection and treated me for that. It seems that it's spreading more on my scalp and my arm on the same side. I'm frustrated, in pain and truly exhausted. I'm not sure where to go from here to get rid of this. I'm now five or six weeks into this. I'm in my mid 50s. Any advice would be appreciated!

2 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

What state do u love in? Ask for lyrica. And and lidocaine cream and patches. Let me know when u get this I have some tips to share with you an hopefully it will help you😊Take care God bless

• Posted

Great tips exactly what has help me and one other important part of the puzzle the vaccine needs to be administered. Clinical studies have show once a shingles break out the vaccine can reduce the duration and area is smaller.
    • Posted

Hello Dearheart, I wanted to let you know that I did see my doctor today.  I asked about the lidocaine cream or anything else that may sooth the areas. She said because they are mostly all open I can't use anything like that. I told her the rash was spreading she said she never heard of shingles in different areas.  She gave me another 5 days on Acyclovir, 5 times a day and Tramadol. I didn't start taking the Tramaodl yet, my stomach is so upset I try for tomorrow.  I haven't slept since night before last I hope to sleep shortly. 

The lidocaine sounded so good. Thank you for the good idea!

• Posted

I I live in the US. My doc said I can't use the lidocaine cream because the wounds are open.  She gave me Tramadol and 5 mdays of Acyclovir. I tried Lyrica for the fibromyalgia and I had some bad side effect.  I'd love to hear anything that can help. 

Does everyone on here now have a shingles out break now?

• Posted

I have it below my brain coming out my ear canal and throat.. ooh la la...What fun!

Merry Juliana

• Posted

No Merry! Oh my gosh! That is horrible, I'm so sorry. You have my attention. How long have you had this? Will it go away? I can't even imagine how you manage. 

Wow! I got it good. I have nothing to complain about lol!  Wait, yes one thing. A few mornings ago I was having a hard time with the pain of several issues I have, when I woke there was a flea on my face. I don't have a dog or cat, I was convinced someone put a hex on me 😂😂 I've been doing everything to get rid of them. Itching from shingles and then fleas!  Sorry I had to tell share that story. 

Please tell me what you are doing to help yourself? Your doctors help?

• Posted

Twenty years. Every 3-5 weeks....

That is why I help on this site....I have had it in my eye twice, as well...I have made peace with my health issues... BTW...And help others with my knowledge. I have a wicked sense of humor that keeps me going...

I understand the agonizing pain and abysmal ignorance and arrogance of physicians. Their unwillingness to treat the pain is shocking.

I have a physician who fortunately prescribes the antivirals and analgesics as necessary.

There are some wonderful clinicians out there....It is just difficult to find them.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

You must have a great sense of humor.  I happy to hear you have a good health care professional. 

I had no idea you could get shingles in the area you have it and thought they always went away. 

Every 5-7 years I get  meningitis and encephalitis from this virus. Now my fear would be to have both at the same time.  I've had it five times before. Just new to shingles's. 

You and others have opened up a whole new world to me.  I'm glad you hear not glad you have shingles.

• Posted

Welcome to our world. I would guess many if not most of us have been mis-diagnosed, I was just thinking of my situation a few minutes  ago before I found this. It's such a tricky, insidious bugger to deal with. PLEASE try the Gab or Lyrica. Believe me, I avoid meds at all cost, but it wasn't until I got on the Gab that I got any kind of relief. The dosage needs to be monitored and slowly increased to avoid too many side effects and to get to the most beneficial level. It can possibly decrease the risk of PHN. People vary as to how they react to it, so read the side-effects, so you don't get too alarmed, but it's worth it. Take care. I'm 4 months in and feel like I'm finally licking this sucker. But there has been slow improvement along the way. It's a marathan, not a sprint.

There's lots of good help here, sadly you will learn more here than most online info.  Rest and take care of yourself it will help you heal faster, you don't want to keep setting off the nerves.

• Posted

I have bad side effects with both of those meds.  I thought this goes away. It sounds like you have had it for a long time and it not going away. Please tell me your story? This doesn't sound promising about healing totally.....

• Posted

I started with pain in my back and chest. almost no rash late October, the pain was only really bad for about 6 hours so I never thought of shingles. Two weeks later, I got a second outbreak on my breast,but it still took about 5 days for the pain to get it's worse. It seems less common to have lesions in various areas, but as you've now read,it follows a nerve. A friend had it down the entire sciatic nerve so it was butt to the toes, with areas of lesions. I use the drugs, techniques and creams others suggest here. They really know their stuff! PLEASE talk to the doctor about getting on Lyrica or Gabapentin. It truly does help. I am at 2200 mgs/ per day, given in 3 doses. I also use the pain cream as I never really had a rash, but the pain is below the skin in the nerves, Tylenol every 4-5 hours (nobody has mentioned it, but it helps me) and a previous prescription anti-inflammatory drug called Relafen for an arthritis type condition.

The most important thing is REST! Keep the nerves quite, if it hurts don't do it! It may be hard to tell as right now every thing sets it off, I understand. But as mine is in my back and chest, I avoid lifting, twisting and reaching. The nerves need to rest at much as possible, which isn't easy, but powering through can make it worse.

So my story? Not bad late October, got bad in November, on medical leave for two months because of pain and drug side effects,but now am doing MUCH better. Don't try to measure improvment by big things or short time frames, you're still in the acute stage. But eventually you'll realize some small thing did't hurt today that did last week, or you feel overall better today. It IS a virus, so it also makes you ill in addiiton rash, so you get fatigue or full exhaustion, headaches, nausea, but we all differ. Take care, we're here for you.

• Posted

I got a little cold before the first spot came out. I thought it was allergies. My throat still hurts on and off and swollen glands. The more I read, the more shocking this virus is! I mentioned this in another post: every 5-7 years I get  meningitis and encephalitis from this virus.  It's always takes more of me, mostly my memory.

• Posted

Samantha,

The swollen glands and sore throat are the Herpes Zoster-Shingles virus, not a cold...

Your story about the flea is too funny!

Take care...

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I'm a very competitive person. I put a white baby blanket on the floor and every time a flea jumped on it I stuck to it.  I did that a good part of the night. I sprayed today and I hope I got them all. Shingles and fleas are not a good combination.... Lol

• Posted

Do you have pets, or are you opening a flea circus?🐾

Boric Acid. (Borax) works well in eliminating fleas, cockroaches, and pests by dehydrating them and the eggs in your carpet. The voice of experience....No poison for your pets, children, or you...🐈🐶

• Posted

I have a parrot only. She doesn't have any fleas. The only thing I can think of is someone came over that had a pet and a flea jumped off and had babies. I have a regular pest service that comes out I don't have any bugs not even ants. It's just crazy! That's why I'm still up I'm putting traps out for them. By the way I found more blisters on my scalp today and my lower back and one side of my butt all on the right side. I don't know why they're still coming out after almost a month and a half

I've used seven dust and this flea killer spray I've used it three times already and these things are still living! I'll have somebody pick up some Borax like you say I'll try it. I haven't been going out of the house because of Open rash and I don't feel good at all.

• Posted

If you sprinkle the carpets with the Borax at night, then vacuum it the morning, the residual will still be in the carpets, and you are ahead in the spring cleaning of the carpets...I use a broom to distribute the Borax evenly, but it probably doesn't matter all that much. I have used this method for roaches and fleas in NYC since 1982...Works like a charm...

Call me pest control...If it only worked on ex spouses..

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hahaha! It should work in all pests 😂

I wanted to get it today but I woke with more blisters in my scalp and the barometric pressure changed which I believe caused the shingles pain to get worse. The wind from the ceiling fan was horrible!

• Posted

The exaggerated pain response is called allodynia.

Not good! Sorry you are going through this!

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I was going to writ a post about that pain "allodynia" I had today. I was screaming from the burning. Like fire. My whole back, my scalp and from my low back on the right side down to just above my ankle. I had someone put wet cool hand  towels all over and an ice pack on my back where it was the worst. I had taken a Percocet but I didn't have time to kick in. Is there anything to do so that doesn't happen again? I would have called 911 but it hurt to bad to move. Does everyone get that? Do you get that kind of pain? 

I do laugh a lot, but honestly the laugh is gone. I don't men to sound down, I think it's just I'm tired. Only 2 hours sleep last night and none today.  I'm going to try now and will check in later.

samantha

• Posted

Samantha,

I know allodynia all too well, unfortunately, and even a slight breeze hitting my ear can torture me. That is why I medicate myself with the topical Benzocaine ear drops every 6 hrs, the anticonvulsant Topamax, in my case routinely, and the Opioids around the clock. Otherwise, you are chasing the pain and playing catch-up.

Everyone has to find what works best for them. Lyrica is a weight gainer and is a mood depressant for many...

Neurontin- Gabapentin can impair your thinking, especially at higher doses, causes weight gain in a few individuals.

Frankly, any anticonvulsant can mess with your brain's cognitive function and mood.

When you are in severe pain, and can't think or move anyway, ask for Neurontin-gabapentin. It needs to be titrated up, and a lot of Physicians don't know how. Some do...I certainly did for my patients...

I am so sorry you are going through this torment.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I thought it was the craziest thing that just that little bit of breeze would cause such pain. I'm glad you found something that helps you. I can't take gabapentin or Neurontin it makes me stutter and the wrong words come out of my mouth.   I have some old Percocet and I've been taking that since yesterday you're right we have to stay ahead of the pain and that's exactly what I'm gonna do. The Percocet is in great but it's better than nothing.   I hope to find a pain management doctor very soon. 

you would think that with all the people that get shingles and as painful as it is they would be more out there and doctors wouldn't be so hesitant to give it to the patients. Just my opinion.

• Posted

Samantha,

I couldn't agree with you more. I cannot stand to see people suffer, and not medicating people with the appropriate pain meds is medical malpractice, in my book.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I couldn't agree more! I wonder if there is something to get attention to this matter? Writing letters/calling but I don't know who. Raising awareness somehow.  Merry, I see here how much pain people are in myself included and if feels like we have slipped through the cracks.   There should be a certain protocol for people that just developed shingles and  for those like yourself another one. 

maybe I'm sounding crazy. I have just never been in so much pain and I have had surgeries,  rheumatoid arthritis osteoarthritis fibromyalgia and the list goes on. The shingles is a whole different story with pain. 

• Posted

Samantha, I totally agree about the ridiculous lack of support and information about shingles. Whenever I have a chance I educate people. And along that line, please excuse me when I again,kindly, but strongly urger to consider taking either Gab or Lyrica. I have the same trouble with cognitive abilities and speech on my Gab. However, it is a helluva lot better than the pain! Even today I looked at those pills and said do I really have to take them? But then I told myself, but they make  you feel better.  Maybe they titrated you too quickly. But  I have to make a conscious decision to put up with the pills so I can controls the pain. I'm worrried about you.

• Posted

Bans, if I take them and want to tell someone anything not one right word would come out. I can't express my self at all. Then I  stunner on top of it. If I got really sick I couldn't tell my doctor what was wrong with me. If there was anyway I could take it I would and I tried several times for different reasons to take it. 

i've been doing the same thing anybody that I talk to I asked her if they've had their shingle  vaccine and tell them what it feels like and I have gotten some people to get their shingles vaccine people will listen if they're told correctly about the affects of this virus.

• Posted

I'm sorry I suggested it again, but I have to ask, how high was that dosage? I started at 100 mg 3 times a day and took several weeks to get up to my final dose of 800 3 times a day.  However, I am getting better at telling people, I'm sorry, I'm on strong medication for shingles, and I chose the wrong word.

I sincerely hope that someone can find a good medication to help you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.