Late menopause

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 54 years old and only started perimenopause a 18mths ago, up until the last year I was having a regular 28 day cycle with no problems. Things are more erratic now and over the last year I have sometimes gone 3 months with out any period. My doctor alarmed me last year by saying if I was still having a period next year "she would do something about it". I can see no reason why I should be medicalised or worse operated on when I have no symptomes beyond just being a bit later than others. I can not speal for my mother she chooses to not tell me her history but my pattern is following my grand mothers. I would really welcome other's thoughts on this. This attitude of suggesting something will be done is really affecting me. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

That's insane! It's time to find a new doctor. Why would he try to terminate your cycle if you have no medical issues that dictate you need surgical intervention?  Some of these doctors are quacks! 
    • Posted

thank you, thank you. My thoughts too, I am so grateful to you for answering, I fear the medical system produces people who see everything in terms of disease and pathology with little consideration of huamn variablity.
    • Posted

Exactly! Things are always so black and white with them or according to textbook that when they come across any gray areas they are at a loss. 
  • Posted

Hi, there.  What a crazy doctor you have!  I do not see any reason for him to want to do something about that, specially if your only "problem" is to be late :S. Maybe yoy should see another doctor smile. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi lwr

Take no notice, obviously an incompetant doctor, 

Nothing wrong with a later peri, we all vary, i was just aged 40-41 and had 10 year natural peri, age 50 now post meno.

Doctors do not own us, we choose to hear their advice, half of them are stupid and dont understand menopause, and we do not have to do anything they may suggest. So dont worry.

See a Gyno in future if poss.

Embrace your peri and menopause.

We cant prevent it, let your body do its own thing in its own time. 

Lots of meds and contraceptive pill can interfere with the onset of peri in some women. 

Avoid that doctor ( real prat) 

Jay x

• Posted

A very small percentage of women do not go into the menopause till their sixties and the idea of it being 52 is false, this is only an average. As others have said your Dr is coming over as an idiot as there is no apparent need for medical intervention.
  • Posted

😀😀😀 Dr. Frankenstein comes to mind 😃😃😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.