Late Onset Edema on Amlodipine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 46 years old and I have been on amlodipine for nearly two years now. All of a sudden this weekend I noticed my ankles swelling, the left more than the right. I had been getting a little short of breath, but I attribute that to the fact that I am way less active than I used to be and I have been overeating a bit. Had my BP checked this morning it was 132/96...which is a little high for me on meds. Anyone else experienced a "delayed reaction" to this? This also happened to me on lisinopril about 7 years ago, I had been taking it over a year and all of a sudden I woke one morning and my bottom lip had blown up like a water balloon.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yeah,, it is quite normal for some people to be on amlodipine for some time and then suddenly develop common problems like oedema. The same with me, left more than the right.
    • Posted

Thank you for your response, it is reassuring as I was getting worried! I have an appointment to see my doctor this evening and am going to ask him to change it.
  • Posted

Hi, I was fine for a couple of weeks then my ankles and legs started swelling, left more than right also.  The swelling is really uncomfortable, so much so half way through the day I'm finding it really painful to walk about. I can feel it in my knees and hips too.  Also been struggling  with shortness of breath. At least knowing I'm not alone means I can stop worrying to much.

• Posted

Hi I'm. New to  the site so might sound abit all over the place I'v been on Amlodipine for over 2 months 10 mg yesterday I noticed bottom of both legs a bit hot and funny marks on back of legs I'm wondering if this is my medication Regards Debra

• Posted

Hello,

I started taking Amlodipine about 5 weeks ago after experiencing small intestinal swelli g due to an allergic reaction to lisinopril.

Since being on Amlodipine 5mg tab everyday my ankless and legs are swollen. More so my left leg. It's so aggravating having Cankles, and feeling the pressure in my legs. Also it's very ugly looking. I'm requesting a new medication asap!

• Posted

Hi pls let me know how you get on I'v been on 10mg for just over 2 months bp down I was in hospital due to very high bp which they think was related to another bp tablet I was on but a few weeks ago started with swelling in bottom of both legs and they feel hot to touch.      Regards Debra

• Posted

I sure will share with you what I get prescribed. This ankle and feet swelling is just too much.
  • Posted

Your Reply to colinim

orlando77480

?1 orlando77480 colinim

about a minute ago

Hello my Dr. put me on amlodipine at the beginning of February 2018 I didn't notice my calfs , ankles , and feet were swollen like I was a pregnant woman . Also I had swollen belly I'm always feeling bloated and can't breath he told me it was the medication and he took me off it . I read that the swelling in my lower belly was edema the same swelling that was in my feet and legs . I didn't start having this problem until I started taking that medication. He took me off the meds as of March 15 2018 today is March 28 and my feet and legs are still swollen and I still have lower belly edema . HOW LONG DOES THIS MED TAKE TO LEAVE MY BODY SO I CAN HO BACK TO NORMAL HELPPP . P.S. MY DR TOLD ME A WEEK BUT ITS BEEN 15 DAYS AND IM STILL MISERABLE 😟

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.