Late onset idiopathic CP: your experience

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm 54 and was just diagnosed with probable idiopathic or genetic pancreatitis, based on a severely low fecal elastase. No history alcohol abuse. It was part of a work up to evaluate alternating constipation/diarrhea I've had for at least 30 years and was diagnosed as IBS previously. I am awaiting imaging.

Thus far, I've never had pain except for a mild, chronic right upper abdominal one that lasted several months and finally disappeared on its own in 2017. An ultrasound at that time showed normal liver, gallbladder, and pancreas (the part they could see). It was blamed on fatty liver. My upcoming CT will show more, but i understand that you can have this condition even with normal imaging.

I would appreciate hearing from people with a similar CP profile: non-alcoholic, late onset, little or no pain, no diabetes. Did you end up developing pain? Diabetes? Is your quality of life okay? I'm at a point where I'm nearly asymptomatic except for diarrhea but don't know how long we stay that way.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.