Late or missed periods

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone. O have had extremely bad anxiety that started a little over a year ago, I had a nervous breakdown. I have been. Feeling alot better in the last 6 months then I was for 9 months prior due to anxiety and all the physical symptoms. I have extreme health anxiety so it was a bad year. However, this month my period is now about 8 days late. There is not a possibility of pregnancy as my boyfriend had a vasectomy 10 years ago. My period comes every month like clockwork so this is not normal for me and BC of my health anxiety I am thinking I have some kind of cancer etc. The whole year of my nervous breakdown when I was at the highest level of Stress and anxiety I didn't miss a period and I don't think it was even late. I was really stressed over Xmas I had a bad cold and and a family member said some hurtful things that I cried for 2 days over but I didn't think it was anything more stressful then why I felt at other times. Does anyone else miss periods or have late periods when they are not pregnant and usually have regular periods with their anxiety ?? This is really bothering me and I can't sleep 😢

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

So anxious,

Hello smile sorry to hear you have experienced a particularly bad time with both your anxiety and health anxiety. It is by no means easy and I am pleased that you are feeling better smile

My periods have nearly always been irregular. I do Have some months where they suddenly decide to come like clockwork, but this is quite a rare thing. I have had tests done to see if there was any physical reason for my periods often being delayed (or far apart) and it all came back negative, so my doctor concluded that my anxiety effects it, as it can do this when anxiety is or has been severe... Which is why I am telling you this story that it may help to sooth you.

Even though you feel less anxious now, your body is still recovering and could well be the reason for your late period. But, it always pays to be sure. Despite your partners procedure I would still do a pregnancy test to be sure (as a GP would only tell you to do one anyway) and perhaps visit your GP about it. I always think that whenever something is out of the ordinary, it doesn't hurt to discuss it with a doctor and they can better put your mind at ease xx

• Posted

Hi thanks so much for your reply. My periods have always been regular so I think that's partly why it is scaring me. It seems like it's quite common for some people to miss or have late periods but it hasn't been for me. I have never wanted my period to come so bad. 😢

• Posted

Does your boyfriend get checked as tubes can grow back together it is worth your partner getting it checked out
    • Posted

No he doesn't get checked. I think he may have once but not since. I guess I just thought it was Impossible especially after 10 years for that to happen. It wasn't even a thought that I could be pregnant. I was thinking something was medically wrong that my period hasn't came and My anxiety is through the roof 😢

• Posted

It won't because I am not worried about being pregnant I am worried about something else medically being wrong that is causing it not to come. My health anxiety is really bad when ever something, it could be the littlest thing, is wrong. I hate it. 😢

• Posted

My daughter who is as regular as clockwork with periods was very late last month, she got checked out and it turned out fine and was normal this moth.

She remembers now that her little girl had been poorly at the time and it was delayed reaction to the worry her and her husband were going through... so it does happen.

Try not to stress about it.... give it a month then if your still worried see your GP.

keep your chin up 😊

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I went through some stress this month but I didn't think it was anymore then other times when my period still came on time , so it just scares me. I hope it comes soon. I never thought I would ever say that

• Posted

Stress like anxiety manifests itself in many different ways, new symptoms crop up all the time especially when you have just mastered one symptom.

My daughter doesnt suffer with anxiety , but the stress caused the blip with her.

Try and Keep calm dont be scared and breathe xx

• Posted

I understand that... You are fixated on it being a health issue.

But... Remember... The health fear is your anxiety.

It's very likely that you period may have been a day or so late which can happen sometimes, but your anxiety over health worries has esculated. Combined with anxiety you have recently gotten over, this could be why your period has stopped.

But when we feel like this we have to try and be rational...the only other option (in my experience) is to sink deeper into the panick.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.