Late period, but have had period symptoms. Afraid that they might be early pregnancy signs instead.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello!

Currently my period is nearly a week late, exactly 6 days as of the end of today, and I am rather concerned regarding the irregularity. Usually my periods are irregular, usually starting late, but this one has been particularly weird. I've had no period symptoms until day 5 with a single day of severe breast soreness, then fairly normal feeling cramps in my lower abdomen, feeling just like the usual period cramps I get which are sharp and fairly painful at a consistent rate. 

On top of that, I've had a thick, white-yellowish, clumpy-to-smoothish discharge since a little before the expected period start date and has continued since then. Believe that might be a yeast infection, but am not entirely certain. 

A week before my period, I went on a vacation and had a rather drastic change in diet and exercise regiment, along with excessive alcohol consumption, so that's a major change in life style, along with how stressed I've been over this late period situation.

My partner and I practice safe intercourse, always using condoms, checking to see if they might have possibly leaked afterwards, and clean up hands if anything continues afterwards, and have taken a pregnancy test only for it to come back negative, but I'm still fairly mortified at the prospect of this weird period and am really scared that there is a good chance that I'm pregnant. 

To anyone who might have any advice, please let me know what you think of this situation. 

Thank you very much, and my apologies for this being a somewhat lengthy post. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Have you ever had your hormones checked? If you are usually irregular you may have an imbalance. Change in lifestyle and stress can make you late as well. I would suggest you keep a diary of your periods and symptoms, there are apps you can download for this. Go to the doctor, explain your symptoms and ask for a blood test to check your hormone levels.

From what you have said, I very much doubt you are pregnant, but if you are worried get another test.

• Posted

Hey! Thank you very much for the advice. I've got an appointment set up with my doctor and we're going in for test in the coming week. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.