Lateral AND Medial Ankle Sprain

Posted , 2 users are following.

As most of you know, I'm dealing with a sprain of the ATFL (lateral/outside of ankle)...well today, I stepped on something and somehow my ankle twisted in not out. So I went to urgent care, and they said it was a sprain. And you can tell it's injured because it's black and blue, and super swollen. I'm seeing my orthopedic doc next Friday, so hopefulyl he can be of more help. I'd see him sooner, but he's booked right up til Thanksgiving! For now, I'll keep wearing my brace, icing and taking ibuprofen.

Anyone else ever sprained BOTH sides of their ankle concurrently? What's that even called?

I hope I don't have to go back in the boot, or worse, a cast, which I think is a real possibility considering the damage done to both sides of my ankle when this happened since first it went in and then it went out. I have no idea how I'm going to work! I'm in retail so I'm on my feet all day. And I work in a kiosk so there's really no place to sit, except at the little tiny desk where we're not really supposed to sit. And, I have to walk a bit (about the distance of 2 blocks) from the bus to my job. This'll be interesting. I should've taken the crutches, but I'm stubborn so I said I'd be fine without them.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Actually I have no idea, but just to know can I ask about your age, it may affect others comments too.

• Posted

I'm 26...so young, but already with a bad ankle. I had ligament reconstruction surgery when I was 16 almost 17 and have a few screws in there to keep it nice and tight.

• Posted

Im 31 also, I have had a surgery they used a tendon nearby, Im in week 9, I dont know what to expect, Doc is telling me everything is OK. I wonder why that have happened to you! & really Why!? Is it related to pervious surgery?!

• Posted

It shouldn't be related to my previous surgery, especially since it was 9 years ago. The lateral injury is related, but I think that the medial isn't...and medial sprains aren't all tht common I don't think. I honestly think I just got unlucky because I'm prettu sure what happened is that I stepped on a rock that rolled sending my ankle in as well. I don't really fot sure, but that's what I think.

• Posted

I can't find anything online about this...so I guess it doesn't happen often?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.