Lateral Decompression Surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

In three weeks I am due for lateral decompression surgery for a trapped nerve and severe pain in back and down right leg, so much so that I can only stand for 10mins because of the pain

​Is  this type of surgery beneficial?

What are the after effects?

How long before I am back walking pain free?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

They are questions you should have asked your consultant. In Forums like this patients with successful outcomes tend not need to post whereas the dissatisfied ones do.

• Posted

Roy, I think it’s an operation  that most of us are struggling to get here in the uk. From what I’ve read and seen of patients that have had decompression surgery it gives much relief. I to wish I could have it but the way the NHS are I was told I’d have 3-4 Vertebrafused which I’m not happy with at my age. I still hope for Artificial Disc Replacements. 
    • Posted

Sorry to but in tony but I had a 1 level fusion and would not recommend it to anyone, now that is my experience but my god has it ruined my life, I to wish for artificial discs, maybe one day😊

• Posted

No Caroline, not butting in at all as it’s even better coming from someone who’s had it done.  I can’t see me ever excepting fusion no matter how bad I feel and artificial replacement or stem cell is my only alternative. 

I really feel for people like yourself who’ve had surgery done but had no success but even made it worse or as bad. 

Take care, one day maybe we’ll get the relief we’ve all been striving to achieve. 

TT

• Posted

Thanks Tony, keep searching for better treatment and I hope you never have to have a fusion, its brutal.

Take care😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.