Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy experience for anal fissure

Posted , 7 users are following.

So here's my story about what I've been dealing with for about 2+ years. I've had hemorrhoids for many, many years but they never caused me much pain until a few weeks before I developed an anal fissure. I was at my friend's house and couldn't pass a stool. I kept pushing and pushing until I felt an excruciating burning sensation. I freaked out for a bit but felt better within 10 minutes. I woke up the next morning for work and the pain was unbearable. I had to call out of work and head to urgent care. There, they diagnosed me with an anal fissure on my right side. Now I've been dealing with this unbearable pain for years. I've tried different creams and used many enemas. The fissure would just not go away. I blame the fissure on my poor diet. It came to a point where I was just tired of feeling this pain every time I had a bowel movement. I would not poop for three plus days out of fear of using the bathroom. That would cause my stool to become more hard and more painful to push out when I had the uncontrollable urge to poo. I went to a rectal surgeon and he gave me a prescription for a compound cream (which was so hard to find). I tried this and it did nothing for me. I would still lay on my bed in pain after each bowel movement. Fast forward to a month later, that's when I had a checkup. I was doing a great job of keeping my stools soft and applying the cream twice, daily until I had one slip up and I was back to square one. The doctor recommended I have a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy. I was almost in tears. I was so glad to finally overcome this issue that has taken a toll on my life and I'm only 20 years old. So, my surgery was scheduled for May 28 at 8:45 AM , which is today. NOW, what are the chances that I would start my period the morning of the surgery, I was mortified.. And during my menstrual cycle, that area is usually more sensitive, so the pain is worse during bowel movements. I researched what would happen during operation and some people said they had to have a catheter put in. Other people said they were told to reschedule their surgery. That scared me to wits end. Luckily, the pre-op was so simple and the nurses were so nice. They were very understanding and made me feel a lot better. I had to take a pregnancy test. Then they laid me on the bed, took my vitals, stuck an IV in me, which was surprisingly painless. Before I went into the operating room, they put a pad under me and sent me into the operating room. Everyone was so nice and made me feel comfortable. They put a gas mask over my face and next thing, I was out. I woke up after the surgery, crying. My throat felt like someone stabbed it with a baseball bat multiple times. Just an uncomfortable and painful feeling when swallowing, I was probably intubated. I had an oxygen tube in my nostrils and the pain was horrible in the fissure area. They kept upping my morphine but it just wasn't helping one bit. It felt like forever. I also had to use the bathroom (thankfully not a number 2). They gave me some graham crackers but I could only eat a few as well as some ginger-ale. Then they put me in a wheelchair and my parents drove me home. The pain was horrible when I was laying in my bed. Just constant burning pain in the fissure area, mixed with period cramps.. not fun at all. But the medicine they gave me kicked in after a while and I was knocked out. I feel fine now, I just have been sleeping on and off which feels nice. I have yet to have a bowel movement, which I'm terrified of. I sat on the toilet earlier and passed gas for nearly 10 seconds and it didn't hurt. Now I'm just laying in bed and the pain is starting to come back but I'm due for more meds and some Miralax. I can't say whether this surgery is worth it for me yet because it's too soon to tell and everyone reacts different. But I have been seeing a lot of positive recovery stories and I'm so excited to feel better about myself as well as start a healthier diet. I will keep you guys updated! Sorry for the novel

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear the trouble you were in. I hope your surgery turns out to be successful. I had surgery March 14th 2019 Kenalog Protocol but I'm still going through horrible rectal spasms. So I'm thinking Sphincterotomy is my next & last option for surgery besides continuing medication to help the AF to heal. I don't have it in me to go again after that. Unless absolutely necessary. Please let us know how you are doing. I hope you have much success.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your response! I am so sorry you're going through this pain and I hope you'll be able to get the ILS soon. I tried so many creams and took MiraLax every night but after one night I neglected to do so, I became constipated once again and tore my fissure open. It's very discouraging. Now that I've had the surgery, I feel a lot happier. I'm on day 2 post op and for the most part I feel great. I'm making sure I drink a lot of water, take my pain meds, and I also take miralax twice a day per nurses recommendation. Here and there I have pain in the wound site but overall, I feel pretty good. I did have a small BM as well. It was loose but I was pain free and that was my biggest fear. Afterwards, I was feeling a little pain but it went away after I sat in a sitz bath. If you do decide to have this surgery, please let me know how it goes! Best of luck to you.

• Posted

hello! I currently have a horrible fissure that I have been dealing with for 6 months. i really want to get this surgery and I'd like to hear if it is working for you! Hope you are doing well!

• Posted

i had LiS 4 days ago . pain from fissure is gone but im having anal swelling right after surgery plz tell me if its normal to have swelling for somedays? did u experience some swelling ?

• Posted

thanks for your response! this surgery was the best decision ive ever made. i was so worried about it at first, but 4 weeks in, im feeling so great. i have no more pain down there at all. please consider it:) all the best to you and keep me updated

• Posted

OP have you tried Nitroglycerine or Botux injection?

I got Nitro a few days ago and it seems to be working for me, got some weird constipation where stool was like leather very horrible so I bought Miralax. We will see how it works but amazingly with the constipation and very hard stool I don't even bleed anymore. This shows the Nitro is working, really hoping it keeps up.

The pain from sitting and spasm is still a nightmare but its been reduced by 50% so no more blackouts.

• Posted

i havent tried the botox injection because i heard theres a 50/50 chance it would work. after years of trying different creams, i just decided the surgery was best for me and its the best decision ive ever made.

• Posted

I heard the surgery cause your sphincter muscle to become weak when you age, or complications can make the situation even worse. It doesn't seem like there is any happy ending with a fissure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.