Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy- how long is recovery and when should I return to work?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello. I'm a 33 year old Female. I have a chronic anal fissure. I was given a cream for 6 weeks that did nothing. Finally got an appointment with the colorectal surgeon this past Friday. He said I need the LIS surgery as conservative treatments didn't work. They are supposed to call this Monday to set up my surgery which he wants me to have this week. I asked how long I Should be off work. He said it could be a few days or few weeks. I'm in the process of getting a leave of absence through work and set up for short term disability in case the leave is longer than a week. Has anyone had this done? What is the healing time? When should i be anle to return to work? What was your experience? TIA

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hello

I had the Lis one year ago.

It help reduce the pain within a few weeks.

But the healing process has been on going for the year.

With good nutrition, keeping everything clean, lots of water and hot bath, it is much better.

good healing to you

gerry

• Posted

i agree with lajger. and you will want at least a week off no doubt. the LIS surgery is NOT a quick fix. but u will have your life back again soon with this procedure . good luck. wash dont wipe!!!

• Posted

with my first failed LIS, i had no pain and felt normal the very next day. such a small amount of muscle was cut hence why it failed.

when i had my second LIS, the first 3-4 days were the worst. the pain peaks on third day, then after that, things start to calm down. it took me 1 week to recover from the surgery pain/incision, 2 weeks to be able to start exercising again, and 6 weeks for the fissure to close.

so i would recommend taking at least one week off. max 2 weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.