Lateral Malleolus facture

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi! Broke my Lateral Malleolus 4 weeks ago, no surgery (thankfully) and I got placed in a CAM walking boot. 2 weeks after the break I was instructed to start walking on it without crutches, since I had no pain. After beginning to walk on it, I started experiencing pain, which I did not experience when the break originally happened. The swelling has not gone better at all.

Wondering what has everyone's experience with this type of break has been like and what was the recovery like? Unfortunately my doctor does not have any answers for me and just says that the bone is healing.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

HAPPY to hear you didnt need surgery

I think its normal to feel pain after not using your foot for awhile

I experienced little to no pain after my surgery, however once I began to put weight back on it I did experience some pain

• Posted

Good to know that some level of pain is normal. What was your experience with swelling?

• Posted

I didn't think you could walk full weight bearing until the bone was healed. I didn't think a bone can heel in 2 weeks.

• Posted

I agree! Most definitely the concerning part. I was instructed to start bearing weight and as soon as I did, the pain and swelling came.

• Posted

I still get a little swelling if Im in my feet for a lobg time but overall Im pretty back to normal

Seems to just happen!

• Posted

I had the same thing happen. I started experiencing bad pain for the first time and in a whole new area.

I wish somebody had told me to go and get an x-ray because my ankle broke in a new place there may have been a hairline fracture there that the x-rays could not pick up at the time or the boot was not immobilizing me properly. Good luck.

• Posted

Wow!! Sorry to hear that!!! Hope everything is healed/healing properly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.