Lateral Malleolus fracture - Update

Posted , 3 users are following.

Link to previous thread for back story - https://patient.info/forums/discuss/lateral-malleolus-fracture-644867

I went to see the NHS GP today to get the result of my scan, as expected it was pretty normal. She mentioned that there was scarring on the bone but again that it was natural and nothing to worry about. Afterwards I discussed what were the next steps, she has signed me up for some Physio but on the NHS we know this can take months, in the mean time suggesting I look up some exercises and continue to use my Ankle Brace.  

She also said that surgery was an option if Physio didn't work by inserting a metal plate into the ankle if the joint is unstable (which it seems it may be) but this  would be a last resort as it means I wouldn't be able to move my ankle properly again.

My issue is now I have to wait months with again little idea what to do, my foot / ankle is getting more painful and it's getting very irritating.  Any suggestions? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Did they do a stress x-ray? This would tell her if the ankle is unstable. I had the same fracture. My ankle was unstable above what my ortho felt was enough to allow to heal on its own. Had to do surgery. 

I have plate and seven screws. Prognosis is good with fibula fracture with plates. Can even have removed after 9 months if need be.

Please get the stress X-ray. Don’t want to develop ankle arthritis if it does not heal right. 

• Posted

Not sure how I go about getting one, they have already done an X-Ray and I doubt my GP would give me another X-Ray after this one seemed to be okay.  Worryingly she said ''if it ends up that it didn't heal properly or it's not aligned surgery would be needed'' implying they didn't know.  The fracture was 2 years ago, I worry I may already have arthritis sad  

Do you know of any other options than the NHS route and paying through the nose for private? 

• Posted

However they did ask me to bend my foot during the X-Ray, would that count as a stress X-ray? 
    • Posted

If the doctor was in there to stress it then yes. 

Stay positive, I would advise getting a second opinion from another orthopedic surgeon. 

• Posted

Hi there, why is it taking so long for physio to be sorted out via the NHS, I would certainly push this with your GP or ask for a hospital referral.

I had ORIF surgery 3 months ago and at my 7 week review with my surgeon, she put me in a boot, I asked if this meant I could start physio and she replied yes, I then asked when, again she replied wishin the next 5 minutes! Since then I have had regular sessions and they are also arranging some hydrotherapy too.

I know I have not just touched lucky as I was back for my 3 month review yesterday and I overheard the surgeon telling someone else the same thing.

i know all NHS Trusts operate differently but mine seem to push rehabilitation so as said I would certainly get back in touch with them as good physio is really important and may save you from surgery too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.