Lateral Medullary Syndrome (wallenbergs Syndrome) can you help me?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a stroke last July,long story short was told my type of stroke was on the brainstem,and is quite rare.............lots of problems which are still with me since july.

Would like to know if anyone else out there has had the same type of stroke and how they have been dealing with all the symptoms and are they actually improving or like me feel like your having a groundhog day everyday x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The whole story is.........AND THIS ISNT A REGULAR STROKE!

On the 22 July 2018.....nice hot summers day. Been out in the garden in the morning,was getting dinner ready,sat down eating, had a giant wave of heat come up from my feet to my head and then a sharp pain come from the back of my head,over my head and settle on my left eye.

Thought I had abit of heat stroke so got Baz to soak a tea towel in cold water which I put over my head and eye,after 20 minutes the pain went away,carried on with dinner but felt totally wiped out so went to bed took 2 paracetamols laid down in bed (this was about 2.25pm)and about 10 min later started choking.I got up and said to baz we better go to hospital cos thought I was having a allergic reaction not being able to swallow (not even saliva)We got in the car got to hospital 3.10pm was standing in reception and my right arm started to tingle,told her we went and sat down.Was sat there for about 15minutes.

Got called in and done the obs,one doctor seemed to think it was a stroke another said it was a migraine,still couldnt swallow,anyway sent me for ct and came back inconclusive.Sat on the bed with a spit bowl in the corridor then until 11.30pm when was discharged with a migrain,still unable to swallow and with a tingling right arm.

Got home obviously still not swallowing!,just laid on sofa anyway must of fell asleep only for about 20 minutes,woke up 6am,went to get up off sofa and my right leg,infact the whole right side(like a line down my body)felt really weird heavy,numb not right at all,I said to Baz we better go back to hospital,I went to wash up a couple of cups and the weirdest feeling was the water felt cold infact it was hot,and I had this feeling all down my right side,anything hot felt cold on my right,and anything cold felt hot too.

Its the 23rd July by now and got to the hospital about 7am after phoning them and say I was discharged 7hrs ago and symptoms had got worse,they said come straight up.

Got there and was having alot of problems walking (balance and limp) they sent me straight through to A&E in that time from coming from home my right eye had dropped,doctor took one look at me and said it was 'Horners Syndrome' and that I would be admitted (still cant swallow) got to the ward etc had mri and 2 days later they said the type of stroke was called 'wallenbergs syndome'.As this affects the brainstem,which then controls many aspects of our bodies.

But to this day 9th March,Im still in pain,tingling,shooting,zapping mainly in my right arm and leg.Cant walk far as electric shocks through right foot through leg.Right arm/leg weakness.Hot and cold thing still going on but not as bad,Swallowing improved after forcing food down after 5 days as didnt want a feeding tube.Horners went away after 7 weeks.Sweating uncontrollably at times.And as you can guess winter has felt like summer to me as cant control my temprature.

They never found where the blood clot had come from either.

Just wish a doctor or anyone can give me some answers and perhaps a better medication as the many pills im on are just helping to dull the symptoms I have left.And not a clue if this will EVER go away.

• Posted

Its like a slow motion stroke over 17hrs!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.