Lateral Release or Partial knee replacement?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm in so much pain there is no space under my patella my knee is very swollen. Walking is getting increasingly difficult let alone the stairs. I have been referred to a surgeon who has offered me to either have a lateral release or partial knee replacement. I am very confused I thought I might go for the lateral as less invasive as at 44 I'm not sure whether to go down the knee replacement route yet. I would welcome your response to either of these procedures and any suggestions as to which to have? Many thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello. Sorry to hear about your dilemma. I'm in a similar situation, however mine is knee reconstruction now or partial knee replacement in five years, however I don't think I can handle this pain much longer without doing something about it. Operation is scheduled for Wednesday. If I we're you, I would try the lateral release first, since it's less invasive. And you can always have the partial knee replacement if it doesn't work for you. But because of your young age the more conservative method may work better. Some younger people can actually heal slower after joint replacements. Many thoughts and prayers sent your way!
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your response. I choose the lateral release and I'm having surgery tomorrow. Can't wait for the pain to go away! I wish you all the best for a successful operation on Wednesday and a pain free future! smile
    • Posted

You're welcome. Hope surgery went well and you're enjoying a recovery with minimal pain. I look forward to hearing how you're progressing!
    • Posted

Hi, surgery went well but I had a hematoma that wouldn't stop bleeding so I had to stay in last night which wasn't planned but It doesn't seem to have bleed again since the last dressing change last night. Just seen consultant going to change it later today so all being well I can go home. Still in alot of pain though. Thanks for asking - good luck tomorrow - let me know how you get on ? :-)
    • Posted

Hi! My surgery was Wed morning as planned. I got to the hospital 15 minutes early. As soon as I sat down to wait, I was called to register. After that, I walked down to day surgery and was put in a gown. After that, it was person after person coming in. First it was my orthopedic's assistant who marked my knee and talked to me and answered questions. Then my nurse who told me that before I could go home, my pain had to be at 4 or 5, I had to pee, keep down crackers, and learn how to get around on crutches. Then my iv was started and I was taken to pre op. Talked to a few more people then was asked if I wanted a nerve block. The patient that was supposed to have surgery before me cancelled, so every one was rushing. When I told the nurse that I wanted info about the nerve block, he simply said that they just wouldn't do one. I was given something to "help me relax" and taken to the or. I remember wondering why I wasn't falling asleep. The next thing I knew, I was waking up. I was in severe pain the second I came to. After giving me at least four doses of pain meds in my iv I was taken back to my room and finally got to see my husband. Anyway, I was given more medicine (The pain was almost unbearable) then went to the bathroom. No one told me ahead of time that I wouldn't be able to lift my own leg. I also didn't know how much muscles contract and engage every time you sit or stand, even with no weight on it. And I have terrible spasms which are perfectly normal for a few weeks, according to my nurse. But I wake up screaming. My doctor is awesome and understanding though and gave me strong meds and also nausea med so it doesn't make me sick. Anyway, sorry for the lengthy response. Hope you're still feeling better. Post op pain is no joke! And I hope you got to go home. The only advantage of being in hospital is access to stronger meds, and the nurses do try to get you comfortable. (At least they did here.) I just can't believe how painful this is!! It's probably just as bad as my csection was. I just hope my pain subsides and I don't regret having the surgery.
    • Posted

So relieved it's all over for us both, and we can both more on post surgery. I came home the next day - but like you said the pain killers are stronger in hospital!

I'm hoping also not to regret this and that it's worked - my surgeon is confident that all has gone as planned.

I'm still in alot of pain and haven't been feeling to well with the pain and nausea the past day. I can now weightbear and I am not using crutches although I use my mums walking stick sometimes just to help with balancing. I also am unable to bend my knee at present, and getting into a comfortable position is very difficult especially sleeping - but it's still early days. Take care smile

• Posted

Hi I just wondered how your recovery has been? My operation wasn't successful and 7 weeks post surgery I am still unable to bend my knee. The pain is unbearable and I'm still taking pain killers.

I saw my surgeon last week and he said that I have bone on bone osteoarthritis and I am am now booked in for a Total Knee Replacement on the 29th February.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.