Laughing causes anxiety attacks?

Posted , 11 users are following.

when i laugh with family my anxiety kicks off.

does anyone else has this?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

i know exactly how you feel whenever im with people and i like to have a good laugh when i laugh too much i think im going to pass out or its like i get light headed then my anxiety kicks off really bad

• Posted

Yep. Its like the laughing makes you short of breath and then your anxious mind is like hey that means youre dying...which then ruins all the fun 😕

• Posted

i have wondered this for a while now. It seems like everytime i go into a "proper" laugh, i lose my breath and then start to feel anxious!

• Edited

Definitely yes when I was on Buspar. I would be relaxed not a care in the world, find something funny and go into the mother of all panic attacks during a laugh. 1st the sensation of laughing and joy at the time was foreign to my mind. 2nd as others mentioned it will make you light headed. 3rd you may become excited. Being excited is normally a positive emotion. However it has the exact same feelings and body symptoms as anxiety. Your brain can flip in a split second from identifying a good feeling like excitement into a negative bad one like anxiety. But even in my norm I got to walk away if I find something overly funny because I monitor my body too much and it makes me feel off. I got to calm down at times even from positive emotions.

• Edited

I have this too T^T And thanks to the comments, I can feel now that I'm not alone.

• Posted

when i laugh i feel a pressure feeling around my head and behind my ears and im starting breathing irregular. Also it feels like im having chills on im my head and im always afraid of having high blood pressure or even i will die. same thing happens when im getting excited.plz answer .

• Posted

The best way to reduce anxiety attacks at that moment is to splash chilled cold water on the face. It will help your heart rate to lower and calm your mind.

• Posted

This has just happened to me, I was watching a very funny video to try and get rid of my anxiety and afterwards felt nausea, faint and fearful, the same feelings I get anyway. I would have thought laughing would have helped but still feel bad 20 mins later. anyone know why this happens.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.