LAVH one week from tomorrow-freaking out!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi! We’re down to surgery on6/6/18 and I’m freaking out.  Planned a total LAVH but surgeon says there is a high chance it will turn to TAH due to size of tumors. I have 7-8, biggest one is outside of uterus and it’s larger than a cantaloupe! 

Would like to get some advice of what I should bring with me to the hospital (2-5 days there) and what things are recommended to have ready at home to ease recovery.

Any other bits of a advice or words of wisdom would be helpful as well. I go in for pre-op appointment tomorrow.  Would love some questions to ask.

I also wanted to know if anyone had their surgery morph into additional, unanticipated work on bladder or bowels. I have had trouble with incontinence and constipation for a very long time. Dr said it’s normal since I have equivalent to 24-30 week pregnancy pushing on my bladder. I’m concerned about permanent damage and issues with recovery.

Thank you!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there.   I totally understand your concerns.   Had a TAH on 5/17 (just shy of 2 weeks ago).   Had one fibroid that was 15cm and my uterus alone was the size of 18 week pregnancy the surgeon said.   Prior to surgery, I was told abdominal was the safest with it being that large so that's what we went with.

I'm 43 so expected this to be much worse then it was.  Besides being a bit sore and very tired, things are good.

At the hospital, I brought a binder that I bought off Amaxon.  Beyond that, just loose clothes to the hospital and home.  They take care of a lot of what you need.   I was in the hospital for 2 nights.   Drank lots of water and walked on day 2 (24 hours later) and that helped a ton.

Also, wear a binder as much as you can the first two weeks.   Especially while sleeping.   It's helped me immensely.

You will do great.   If there's any questions you have, don't hesitate to ask.

• Posted

hi i had very large fibroids 32 week pregnanacy size had a tah 9 weeks ago and am due back to work next week i was constantly going for a wee due to pressure but now its great i feel i barely go i dont suffer with constipation but did after the op for a few weeks i took dulcoease and these were a god send and the usual bran related thing , fruit water etc i took usual nightshirts in with me and easy to get on slippers etc did not bleed once after op even thou i took pads never used them at all i found a body pillow great in bed when i first came home as its so painful to turn over in bed that just took the pressure off it will and does seem so painful and never ending at first but i can assure you you get there eventually good luck with everything please let me know how it went x
  • Posted

Hi I am 54 and had a radical LAVH 7 weeks ago. Because of a prolapse Womb + Bladder plus a family history of Cervical, Ovarian, Womb Cancer. So I decided to go for a radical LAVH to be safe. I also had a Spinal + General. I was amazed of how well I felt in recovery. The same day I was up and about, admit for only 10mins. I have had some abdominal pain which one would expect with 2day small blood loss. For me the most I suffered was the pain from the Carbon Dioxide Gas they use to do the LAVH. I am 7weeks Post Opp and I am still bloated from the Swelly Belly and some discomfort in my belly button when I bend. I do respect that all us ladies are different and our recovery will be different. I hope this will be of some help. If there is anyone who can help with the horrible Swelly Belly bloat and PLZ say it will go. I did have some advice on peppermint tea which helped thank you. Kindest Regards. Mandy.
  • Posted

Hi Nsand1111,

Just wanted to say Hi, I am due to have TAH on the same day.  I cant offer any advice but wanted to wish you good luck, I too am nervous, trying to avoid any scary stories and just focus on the positive ones.  I have purchased some post op pants as many people have told me they make you feel more secure and comfortable, also stool softeners (sorry to be crude), I think constipation is a common problem and I am also taking a fan with me as I know the hot flushes will kick in pretty quickly.  I hope all goes well x

• Posted

Thanks Vicky. Good luck to you as well.  I was thinking about buying a binder or post-op undies but haven’t yet.  Yes I know well the benefits of having stool softener handy. I had two surgeries in March (which is how the found the fibroids I the first place) and the softeners were very handy. 

I also know that hot broth or tea was very helpful as my throat was very sore due to intubation. Oh and saltines; I lived on those things for 2-3 days as I couldn’t stomach anything else.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

N

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.