Laxatives

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am diagnosed anorexic and am at my lowest weight ever I abuse laxatives massively about 30-40 a day but suffer extreme stomach pains which I am on tramadol for was wondering if anybody else experienced these pains and what they do to help with the pain ? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I really recommend you to read some informations about your illness and the real side effects of it ,not nów my Love in the future .i work in the Ward Where poor girls are suffering and how badly and seriously their organs are damaged .its one of the worst illness I hope you get strong and will fight it I wish you all best 

• Posted

I know all about my illness as I have had it for years ! And read many things about anorexia I don’t think it’s a long time damage thing as my go is not concerned about the pain I suffer 
  • Posted

If you know a lot that’s good then .regarding pain it’s very common if you use laxatives try to drink mint tea twice a day regularly you should feel difrences in a while 😊 

• Posted

Hi Louise,

As the other poster said, you will be in pain through drug abuse (which this is). You will have worn away your stomach lining which is what is causing the pain. Are you feeling pain anywhere else e.g. in your intestines or around your kidneys? if so, then you should seek medical help urgently as this could be a sign of organ failure.

I'm not going to lecture you about laxative risks because you know this already, but when you are ready to make a change I would think about working with a dietitian to reduce your laxatives gradually. You shouldn't stop suddenly on these (same with most drugs).

Remember there is lots of support out there. Beat, the UK's eating disorder, run a free and confidential helpline, which is open 3pm - 10pm every day, as well as various online support groups, 1-2-1 chat and twitter support. 

Take care.

• Posted

I have pain through all my stomach and I stenstines have spoke to doctors and they don’t seem overly concerned just prescribe the tramadol and when I do eat anything it just comes straight out an hour later if that at the moment there isn’t a pain  free day just controlling it would help 
    • Posted

Yeh. Pain can be horrible when it's not managed well.

I am mightily surprised that they haven't at the very least booked you in for blood tests. It's an easy thing to do to rule out anything sinister particularly with your health issues.

I, personally, would be worried about persistent pain. Pain is extremely rarely not caused by something and to manage you (and they) obviously need to know the cause. The best thing is to make a GP appointment (maybe ask for someone different?) and say you're worried and suggest blood tests. Presumably they know about the eating disorder?

There are some helpful resources on things to say in a GP consultation regarding your eating disorder available freely on the Beat website so you might find that helpful.

You will know in yourself what is regular bad pain and what is severe. If the pain worsens to what is normal for you, you should go to A & E.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.