Laxatives aren't removing the abdominal bloating. It hurts

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm a guy, almost 40 and have been dealing with constipation since I was 21. Usually I would take a laxative or sometimes, 2. Usually 1 when I ate too much fast food or something I knew would back me up.

In the past, a laxative would remove any bloating or discomfort I have had, until now. For almost 2 weeks now I have had bloating that won't go away. I have taken some laxatives and have had some ok bowl movements but the abdominal bloating is still there. It hurts. Things I can share are that I have had bright red blood in my stool, as of last week but haven't seen any since. I have had bright red blood in my stool before two years ago. Also I have felt dull pain in my left side and in my left pelvic area. I went to a Dr and they did an x-ray, they said it was constipation. I then went to a gastrointestinologist and he put me on probiotics and Linzess. I've been on them for a couple days and no change. I am thinking it could be my colon and maybe using a colon cleaner might be the way to go. Has anyone had this issue or could give advice?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I feel really sorry for your situation.

My Dad is 70 years young and suffers from constipation due to 

1. Piles surgery in India, 1965. Over the decades, anus got narrow

2. Surgery to enlarge anus in 2008. USA doctor made it worse because anus is more narrow and inelastic

Bright red stool? Could it be hemmoroid? My Dad has internal hemmoroids that bleed, hence blood in his stool. My Dad is scared to make bowel movements because of the intolerable pain (and he has high pain threshold).

I'm not sure about the dell pain on left side and in pelvic area.

Once my Dad was misdiagnosed with IBS, and Dr prescribed Linzess. This is an expensive and dangerous drug. Unused Linzess should be returned, rather than flushed down the toilet. Linzess actually caused my Dad bouts of Diarrhea and Constipation.

About 2 months ago he stopped Linzess and uses IBGard (over the counter instead). It's too soon to say whether it works.

My Dad has poor bowel movements 3 times a day, plus bleeding hemmorhoids. Not to mention, he has anal pruiritus after Dr prescribe compound medication of Diltiazem, Lidocaine and Hydrocortisone to treat the Hemmorhoids.

Nurse practitioner recommended my Dad use Miralax, but my Dad does not want to be dependant on that. Already he takes Lactulose, Citrucel and Psyllium Fiber in afternoon, Senna and Stool Softener at night.

Hope some of this helps you, I understand this is debilitating because I see my Dad in so much discomfort.

Perhaps others will give more advice so you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thanks for the info. Ginger tea w/ fresh lemon juice is helping me get my appetite back. Or at least some temporary relief. I'm going to try the IBGard. The reviews on Amazon are near 5 stars. Linzess is a $400 prescription!! If nothing works, I will get the colonoscopy and see what is up. Tired of this bloated pain. 2 weeks of burning and feeling full sucks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.