LCPD in older adults

Posted , 4 users are following.

Looking for thoughts from anyone 50 or older who has had LCPD!  Do you have night time leg pains, one leg or both.  Did it start when you got older? What does it feel like? When did it start or the pain change?

Trying to do some research on LCPD pain, etc on older adults. If you have LCPD and are 50 or older please let me know.  Thanks for taking the time. I appreciate any info you can talk about.cool

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I am a 55 year old male who had perthes in one hip at age 7. Wore a full leg brace for 3 years. I have leg pain at times but normally when I walk, not at night. It's a pain with stiffness. I deal with it by walking to loosen up. This evening as I walked midget it really bothered me but I just soldiered on. I take no prescription medications.

• Posted

Hello Charles22352, thank you for taking the time to respond. Have you ever tried any chiropractor, or actupuncture or massage to try to relieve pain? It seems like I am finding out that children get helped and then later starting around age 40 most are having some sort of pain, either at night or with movement during the day, or all the time.  I am sorry that you must handle this situation. I am like you I take no prescription drugs but I do use natural items, like anti-inflammatory and vit c., etc.  I have read that if someone in the house is a smoker the child is more prone to LCPD. I can't find any facts to support that.  Take care of yourself and again thank you for sharing.cool

• Posted

Natasha, thanks for the email. I havent done anything to ease the pain. I do take two glucosamine chondroitin tablets a day and do a good bit of walking. A few years back my doctor xrayed the hip but he didn't see any problems. That's interesting what you said about the smoking because when I was a child my parents were heavy smokers. I'm thinking all the adults smoked in my family. I wouldn't consider the pain chronic as it just flares up from time to time. There are times when I walk with a noticeable limp even though I'm pain free. Please tell me what anti-inflammatory medicine you take and any exercises or vitamins that might help.

Thanks, Charlie

• Posted

Hi Charlie, I have tried that glucosamine chondrotin but with no change so I am taking anti-inflammatoroy support by wholehealth. Check on the internet for your best cost. I take 3 a day with food. It seems to be helping. My Dad smoked a pipe, I dont know if it means anything or not, but looks like you also had smokers in the house, so we will have to think about that. I have a lot of the same issues, sometimes I am in a lot of pain with no limp and then with a limp no pain. I do have a lot of pain at night. I was told by a natural doctor to take vitamin D,C, and calicum.  I also use a product called Argentyn 23 homeopathic medicine gel.  Just put on stiff areas. Its clear no smell and dries in seconds. It helps a lot of the times. Nothing I have tried works 100% of the time, I guess the body is always changing. For exercise walking is excellent, helps keep the bones strong, I know you already do that, super. Also orthopedic doctor told me to try stationary bike. And of course the every popular yogi. That is very difficult for me, next to impossible so I tried to do what I call my own yogi at home which is just stretching as best as I am able.  If I think of any other ideas I will let you know.  Thanks, Natasha
    • Posted

Hi Natasha, thanks for your email. I'm gonna check out wholehealth and the gel. I remember my orthopedic doctor telling me to bicycle and swim. Low impact on the hips. You sound like your hurting much more than me. for the last couple of days my hip hasn't hurt much. It's strange how the pain comes and goes. My aunt has a stationary bike and I really like using it. I'm thinking about getting me one. Ive never been one for vitamins but I may try yours. Take it easy

• Posted

Hi Charles, I was thinking... Of course depending on what medical insurance you have it would be interesting and helpful if you took the bone density test. I try to walk on cement for low impact exercise but I do it on cement because of the impact force of the foot then knees then the hip. This impact helps to create new bone mass, of course along with other items. I guess I figured out to try and keep bone mass and flexabilly in the hip joint as much as possible in all directions. So stationary bike works one way, walking another.  Im sure you know what Im trying to say cause you seem very smart and are also trying to take the best care of yourself.  Also one more thing anti inflammatory powder called  arabinogalactan.  As I understand it if something is inflamed it will slow down or stop the healing process.  This product is also on the internet, health food stores but a little harder to find. I dont know why. Thanks for listening to all my talk..LOL Take Care
  • Posted

Hi Natasha, I'm Cindy.

Finding your post was so joyful for me to know that there are other people my age sharing their stories and helping each other.

I am 48 and was diagnosed with LCPD at 14 years old. I had a leg discrepancy of 3/4 of an inch. There always been pain in my left leg since a child, but it was dismissed as growing pains. There was always a limp in my walk, and have always had limited movement in my hip.

I can remember being in school and being told to sit on the floor with our legs crossed and I could never do it.

It was my dad who noticed how bad my limp was at an airport when my sister and I were walking side by side ahead of him and my mom.

By the time the doctors were involved it was too late to cast or to stop the growth in my right leg so that my left leg would "catch up". They had no idea what to do. I was the first patient that they had seen this in. The consensus was, without surgery I would be in a wheelchair by 20 years.

The surgeon decided to put a pin in my leg to lengthen my left leg while reshape to a more normal position at the hip ball to fit in to the socket. The pin was shaped like a 7 and was bolted in place with 6 screws. It stayed in for a year. So one surgery in grade 9 and then another in grade 10.

I went in to surgery excited as the pain going down my groin was a shooting pain and the pain in ny thigh would radiate down to my knee and it was horrible.

Sadly to say it is still the same to this day.

I now have problems walking anywhere. Carrying groceries and walking doesn't happen. I can't dance or take nature walks anymore. Today I am stuck at home because of the pain im having. It's sad and I feel like I have a hip of a 90 year old the pain is awful.

A couple weeks ago I went to a doctor (I'm in a new city so he is new to me), told him my history and asked for x-rays. Once he got the results he called me in and put in a request to get me to the first surgeon available.

The thigh bone just below the femur head has severely narrowed, he believes I need a hip replacement.

I am glad that I am seeing a surgeon, but I am scared and also afraid the pain will not go away.

Does anyone have advice about hip replacements? and recovery time to return to work?

• Posted

Hi  Cindy51536, wow you have had your hands full for sure. You are what I call a survivalistcool. I don't have much information on getting surgery. Its smart to get a second opinion, also ask the doc after you have the  surgery what % will your pain decrease. I really understand about the walking and trying to hold something, I know its just about impossible, but Im sure sometimes we have both had to do it because we had no other option. Wow nature walks and dancing two of the things I love the most and are not able to do. It is hard for sure.  I hope your surgery goes well, you are in my thoughts. Ask a PT office if you have time about what the recovering time is for this type of surgery. Also a lot will depend on your health. If you are pretty healthly it will be eaiser and if your not don't worry because you have the spirt of a fighter and this will help pull you through. Just remember sometimes we can only make it thru one day at a time, or a half a day, sometimes only minutes but in life the good news is it  is always changing. If you want to take your lap top with you and post your story or send to my email, I would love to hear about your journey. Sometimes knowing someone is there helps even if you don't know me, Im wanting you to be ok and everything to work out OK.   I remember a gal from work had hip surgery and she was off about 8 weeks. You may take less time or more but you will know when the time is right to return.  Take care of yourself.  Love, Joy and Happiness...  Natasha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.