LCPD PAIN RELIEF

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All i wonder can someone give me some guidance with regards pain relief.  Im currently visiting speciailist regarding pain in my left hip as a result of LCPD when i was a child im 36.  I started the process last October however am still on the NHS waiting list for a steroid injection which i have been informed could be August before i even get offered an appointment.  I am currently taking 8-10 paracetamol a day however some days help some days doesnt,  im also not keen on taking that amount of tablets everyday.  Im getting married next month and would love a pain free day, what medication do you guys take to assist with pain? Im visiting my local doctor on thursday to seek an alternative pain relief option but just wanted to know what everyone else was doing to see if that could help me also.  Also anyone have any other suggestioins for reducing the pain?

Thanks

Lyndsay

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My son would use ibuprofen, but as he got older he would have impingement and arthritis in the hip and no meds would help. At this point he had them go in and smooth and round out the joint using orthoscopic surgery. This was the biggest help.
  • Posted

Hi Lyndsay, my son had Perthes for 5 years, quite severely. He was a bit unusual as he still had full range of movement, but his pain levels were horrendous with raised inflammatory markers. He wasn't allowed to weight bear from 3-8 years old and spent many weeks on traction. The usual pain killers for him weren't any good and he ended up on adult type pain relief. He's now 15 and still suffers pain in his hip and back which can't be explained. I also have a Chronic Pain condition do can help with regards to pain relief.

paracetamol is no good on its own for this type of pain, I'm surprised your GP hasn't given you anything better. You'll need a form of Anti-inflammatory, if you can't take them orally like me, then use something like Voltarol Gel which also has a painkiller in it and really helps. Tablet wise your doctor might start you on Cocodamol before trying anything stronger. The combination of anti inflammatory and pain relief should make you much more comfortable.

i would question the length of time you are having to wait to be seen at the hospital, the guideline is 24 weeks from referral to treatment, and it sounds like you are well over this. This happened to me once and when I questioned it, somehow my appointment had got lost in the system, so I'd speak to your GP about it first, but then maybe contact the hospital about it quoting government guidelines and how long it is since referral.

I hope this helps you, I dread the day when my sons hip deteriorates, he's gone through so much already, being Autistic, ADHD, dyspraxia, and has a cyst in his spinal cord that may cause trouble later. But from what I've learnt of Perthes, it seems to be the gift that keeps on giving. Good luck. X 

• Posted

Hello lyndsay,i had lcpd when i was 11.im 41 now and suffer,but i was given paracetamol and naproxen.although i dont like taking to many tablets,i have drastically cut down to when is really needed.i cant take cocodamol,but i find taking 2 paracetamol and 1 naproxen before bed helps through the night and through till the next day.hope you find something that works soonsmile.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.