Learning to drive and change of circumstances for PIP

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

I hope you are all well....

I dont know where to start but here it goes,

I do not know if people remember me but i was having struggles learning to drive as i have dwarfism and no instructor within 100 metres could help me or teach me, to me that was my dead end.

I went to CAB and other charities for advice and was told i should really be getting mobility for PIP and it was very strange how i am not... 

I reported change of circumstances for PIP in January, my GP wrote a medical letter which took forever and got a few witness statements who are family friends... anyways DWP received this on 13th March after long delay from GP. I have always had problems walking, standing and i just get on with it because what can i do? I am to the point now where i cannot get on with it....

I have my appointment for my assessment next Wednesday.

After weeks and weeks of searching the internet for help on what i can do to learn to drive my father was saving and brought me a Vauxhall Corsa 2002 AUTOMATIC for me to learn to drive AND I CAN REACH THE PEDALS!!! even though i am close to the steering wheel but i always will be because of my arms, i found a normal instructor who was willing to teach me in my car and i have had 2 lessons already and i have driven all over, used junctions and roundabouts... even booked my test for June!!!

I just thought i would update and i will update again after my assessment....

Thank you xxx 

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Natalie, that's great news, i'm very happy for you that you've managed to find a car to suit you. Good luck with those lessons and good luck with the assessment on Wednesday. Don't forget a few days after the assessment you can ring DWP to ask for a copy of the assessment report. Do come back and let us know the outcome.

• Posted

Well done you. ..thanks for the update and I hope everything works out for you. ❤❤❤
  • Posted

Awww that’s fantastic news there’s nothing like driving I know I couldn’t be without my car...good luck for your test xxx
  • Posted

Hi,

Well done natalie, it shows how persistence can pay dividends. Driving a car is my only release, otherwise I would be trapped indoors. I was lucky enough to get higher rate mobility with my dla and am dreading the "invitation" to apply for pip.

Best of luck for your assessment and I hope you get the benefits you need.

Mike.

• Posted

@
    • Posted

@natalie21584  Well done, natalie, I am very pleased for you, good luck with your driving.  I have never had the nerve to learn to drive, I admire anyone who has.
  • Posted

Sounds promising.

Another solution for driving would be to use hand controls only.

Good luck with your test.

Sarah xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.