learning to walk all over again after CES

Posted , 13 users are following.

Good evening everyone on this amazing site.  So gald I found it. My back went out after getting up out of bed. I layed on the floor for three hours and every time I moved my lower back hurt. So I called my mom, talked to her for a while,had lunch on the floor. As long as I didn't move, I was OK. Finally decided to call the ambulance. They wanted to pick me up as the our house did not allow them to bring the streatcher in our bedroom. I asked them to drag me out on a sheet and then  down the stairs on the streatcher ? They said no. They picked me up to sit me on a chair with wheels on it. I felt my back going into the most pain I had ever felt. I almost passed out. Then they put me in a different chair that went down stairs. Then was moved to the stretcher. Was given morphine for pain. At the ER the surgeon knew I had CES and needed imeadiate surgery. I was left with not feeling from waist down. Spent 6 wks in rehibiliation hospital. I am now home continueing to learn how to walk.  I am worried that I will hit a plateau and not regain my ability to walk with out a walker. Does anyone have a history of learning how to walk again after CES ? I would appreciate any response, the good along with the bad. I feel I'm doing good, just want to know how others faired and delt with CES. Blessings 

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi everyone. I'm not hear to gloat but wow I've read some horrendous accounts hear and on other pages.

I am 1 week out of Oxfords JR after also having surgery to fix my CES.

I had suffered mostly for 15 years with L4 L5 S1 and chronic sciatica. having a few really bad moments but I mostly worked a manual job driving and delivering office machines across the UK (doing the job caused the injury) I even somehow played football twice a week and a mid week 5 a side game for many if those years.

5 years ago it really hit me that I needed to try to get it sorted, I was 37. i went for a course of IDD a decompression rehab. it cured my sciatica almost immediately. and then, typical me, I neglected a lot of advice and didn't go to yoga etc.

but I felt 90% normal and that was a massive improvement.

of course this year (2018) my back went again and it all came back with a vengeance.

I have been self employed for 12 years and again a sort of physical job but only very limited driving.

anyway the saddle area, right leg, foot all went crazy. I have never been so scared. not for the awful reasons you guys have said, not walking but still I think just the speed and seriousness the hospital processed me and the concern from the doctors and nuro surgeon.

there is much more detail but I basically had CES since July. and I was finally in for an MRI and op etc last Sunday. I'm 8 days out.

I didn't poo for a month but 3 enemas got that sorted. and I've still got alien testicals, saddle area and right foot. Some nerve damage in right leg too but I can walk. I left the house today for 1st time. no shuffling, actually real steps. very slow and pronounced but I was walking.

I was out for 15 mins. ok if able bodied, it's likely only be a few min walk but hey.

I was able to empty bladder alone. my cavater was removed an hour after I woke up from op . I have now had a few bowel movements and that's given me confidence although it's far from normal sensation.

dare I say I'm even relieved in my sexual department (although I don't have a GF presently) I can get 90% hard and cum, although again it's sort of alien and not enjoyable, no real orgasm feel. I know I'm likely going to have a good chance of making a real strong recovery. I'm mostly struggling with my right foot. the outer toes feel weird and at night time the sole keeps me awake as it feels frozen.

I know this is of little help to you all but I want to thank you all for being a confident boosting bench mark. I know the literature claims serious risk if not operated upon with 48 hours but I was 3.5 months. whilst working still. and driving. various miss diagnosis layer and in was finally scanned.

anyway, I feel very lucky.

it's still been life changing. I've no chance or wish to go back to my trade (domestic appliance engineer 12 years) and I'm hoping to help with loneliness and male suicide in the UK. how? Not quite figured that out yet but want to be getting stuck in by the NY.

• Posted

Hello All

I’ve been looking for a doctor who can help with some of the symptoms of CES, with no luck so far.

My story is I went into surgery with an orthopedic Doctor in July 2018. After surgery I was kept pretty drugged up in the hospital, I found out I could urinate on my own the day I went home. I saw my family doctor 3 days after the surgery, I could not urinate, pass bowels or walk without the aid of a walker. He said this was normal after my type of surgery. To make a long story short the surgery caused CES and I finally made it back into the hospital after seeing my urologist 58 days later.

The Neurosurgeon said I had CES and he would do what he could with no promises of recovery. I said go for it. This was the end of Sept 2018. After surgery I went home and done phy therapy at home 2 days a week. Then out patient phy therapy 3 days a week until about 3 weeks ago. I can now walk fairly good for 100 yards or so, but I still need to self-catheter 3 or 4 times a day and don’t know from day to day how my bowels are going to react. One day real lose and going without warnings and not able to go for weeks at a time.

I’m looking for a doctor who knows CES and is willing to work on someone with CES. I will post if I have any luck. Don’t get me wrong, I thank God every day for my ability to walk, but I think there is more I could do to get over this thing.

Wish every one here a speedy recovery

Ron22739

• Posted

Hello,

i dont know if anyone is still on this site but i had CES a year ago and after 2 emergency surgeries in UK Kings Collage Hospital i was left paralysed

went 5 months ago abroad to have spinal fusion done and now i can walk

• Posted

i have had surgery for ces and i cant walk now

reading this site gives me hope

all i can do is reply to old posts?

not very good at Internet

I live in North London if anyone has advice where to go?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.