Least tiredness beta blocker

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi , Im having tachycardia bad at the moment, so I need my beta blocker, even if Im tired from another medicine. So you see I get extra tired, really much. Which beta blocker causes least tiredness. Im on Propranolol, and have tried Metropolol before. That worked ok for some time, but then severe side effects came. Also if 10 mg works for me with propranolol, will 5 mg also work, has anyone tried small dosages. THX everyone. By the way I hope someone will answer who like me is very sensitive to meds in general.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I've been on bisoprolol for 3 + years. The side effects....lots of ...fatigue,heavy legs,difficult to find the energy to walk,nightmares,numbness in my hands weakening me up through night, thinning hair,weight gain, poorer vision.back ache..really bad and fed up because my GP wouldn't try a different med! 

After looking on here, I asked a new GP to change my meds. He put me on Atenolol!  100 mgs! I've been on this and 2.5 mg rampril for over a year! Guess what?    

Same problems with all of the above! I'm now trying to wean off the atenolol and I'm suffering with withdrawal effects. I'm lots better! Vision is less blurred,I can walk further and better,still have tired periods during the day,but a lot less so and my head/ thinking is much clearer. More like myself! Roll on the day when I stop these beta blockers! 

I can't recommend either of my meds but then we all react differently. I have persistent A/F. I read online that if you're sensitive to betablockers then you are probably sensitive to this group of meds. I think these meds slow down the heart resulting in fatigue. 

Some people would rather take the meds and put up with the side effects. It's hard to know what to say. We are at the mercy of our GP s and cardiologists. I just hope that yours is loads better than mine.

I hope this helps.

• Posted

I recently stopped my beta blocker and WOW in the beginning it felt good, but now after 6 weeks Im back on then for what I hope will be a short period. But I worry a lot.
    • Posted

I felt the withdrawal effects of reducing the atenolol after about 4 weeks. I'm still feeling the effects on and off during the day,but are nowhere near as bad as the side effects of the 50 mgs of atenolol I was taking! I've read it can take up to 6 months or more for the body to recover. I'm aiming to reduce it further but not just yet. 

My sister in law just completed chem for breast cancer was told by her GP to reduce her atenolol from 100 mgs to 50 mgs. After a month she was v worried because she had swollen ankles,breathless,tired, walking was a problem and also feeling really "off"" at times.after an emergency appt, a new GP told her it was definitely withdrawal from atenolol and it wasn't anything to do with the chemo. She is determined to continue. I hate atenolol,but it beggars belief that her doc reduced her meds when she has just finished chemo and is now starting radiotherapy!

Did you have bad withdrawal effects from reducing this med? It's sheer hell!

• Posted

I had a high pulse and Bp. It passed. But my symptoms are back this week. However I only took metopolol for 6 months not 3 years. I think the rebound effect is real!
    • Posted

im back on the strengh the consultant said, I felt the same on reduced as i did on full strengh,  was in AF two days  just when i thought it was under control,  When i get it i burp a lot, And this uncomfortable feeling in the chest that bothers me much more than the heartbeat  itself,  i think its trail and error where medication is concered  wish you and your sister in law well
    • Posted

Both my sister in law and me are doing ok. Still having side effects from reducing the atenolol,but I'm much better than before. I still have some side effects from the atenolol 25 mg and the rampril2.5 mgs, but I'm going to try and get off them in time. Trouble is I have no idea how bad my AF is ,although I know I have persistent AF and have an anxious feeling from my heart area all the time! My pulse fluctuates up to 118 BPM at it's highest and I keep an eye on that and my BP. 

I know it's trial and error with meds but none of my docs have been willing to listen or show any sensitivity to my problem. It's as if they follow the tested route and that's their job done! I'm not kidding when I tell you that my docs and including the cardiologist ,explained,gave reasons or showed the least bit of compassion. I always ask my husband to be with me just in case it's ME that's neurotic! He is unhappy with the way I've been treated over the past 4+ years!but there again I was fully trusting my doc.

Have you been told why the meds have been upped? If you're not feeling any better then why has it been upped? What meds are you taking and what strength?

Sadly the medical profession is in crisis and no wonder. Not enough time or care given by lots of them. I hope your docs are better than 3  I've seen. Hope you're feeling better today. Take care and thanks for your post.

• Posted

i take a few medication for blood pressure and sotalol 120mg twice a day  plus warfrain which is always being change as i cant keep my I N R  leval it a pain having to go for blood test each week  what can we do but trust our doc my doc is very good  and the consultant is ok  i just wish they new more  about AF like you i get my husband to come in with merolleyes take care
    • Posted

I was offered warfarin...there's a higher risk of stroke with AF as you know. I didn't want to take because I knew it was difficult to regulate and the blood needs testing regularly. I asked if I could have the newer blood thinner. I'm now on rivaroxiban no side effects that I know of! 

I had read up on these new anti coagulants before I went to my GP. Apparently warfarin is very cheap whereas the new drugs are very expensive. Also there is no antidote so if you have a bleed etc,they have to wait I think for at least 24 hours for it to get out of your system. Warfarin has an antidote but I think you have to be careful with some foods! I think bananas and green veg can be a prob if you're on warfarin. Go online and check it out! I wasn't happy going on rivaroxiban,but I'm not sure I've done the right thing. Who knows? Hope you get it resolved. I feel for you.

• Posted

i have side effects from the beta blockers  i always feel cold  and i mean cold and tired,  Doc has changed medication but still i find no change , have you been told you have AF i have tried smaller doses but then for me its no good
  • Posted

i'm on bisoprolol for the last 3 weeks and they are doing nothing for me (i'm very sensitive to meds). i still have all the palpitations i was perscribed them for i'm on 2.5mg but doctor won't up the dose as im undergoing tests at the moment. i dont have any side effects though, except really weird vivid dreams. as for a smaller dosage i would talk to the doctor first as lowering your meds might not control the problem.
  • Posted

Maybe the 'least tiredness' beta blocker isn't a beta blocker at all but rather a cardiotonic agent, I take Bisoprolol 5 mg plus Ivabradine 5 mg, maybe this newer Ivabradine stuff would be good for you smile
    • Posted

Could you tell me a little about your experience with Ivabradine?
    • Posted

Oh sorry, didn't see ...

Well there's not much to tell, I've had no problems whatsoever, 5 mg in the morning and 5 mg in the evening,, I really can't tell if it's working or not redface Maybe I need more, 7.5 mg question smile

The worst side effect is visual disturbance, bright flashes / light trails smile

• Posted

I just got on Metoprolol a week and a half ago. I'm on a half dose of the 10 mg, so I take 5 mg every night at bedtime. I may start taking it earlier, around dinner, so it won't affect me so badly the next day. I currently have extreme exhaustion, but I can already tell that the dizziness from the high heart rate is lessening. Hoping my body will adjust soon to the tiredness part. 
  • Posted

Is this discussion still active?!?

I've been on bisoprolol, 2.5 mg a day, for about 3 years now. For the last year and a half, and more specifically in the last 9 months, I've been suffering from dreadful fatigue, to the extent that if I drive 30 miles one day, I spend the next in bed recovering. That's if I can even get the energy to drive at all.

Last Saturday, to my surprise, I found I was feeling well, almost normal. Then I realised I'd missed one of my tablets and had gone at least 36 hours without. Could this be the reason?

• Posted

Hi,

Bisoprolol does make you weary l find, as well as other horrible side effects. Such as a feeling of doom and gloom, not interested in much, feeling apart from people and not caring anyway. Don't know if this is your experience too but I've been on this drug since Feb this year and wish I'd never started it. My heart rate went into a fast rhythm due to a reaction from a volterol rub which meant l had to have something to slow it down. I also take Canderstartin for high blood pressure and find this has nasty side effects too. Think I'm ultra sensitive to all drugs personally which makes it difficult to get the right combination. But must admit l don't feel the same tiredness as yourself apart from my eyes seem gritty. Am sure others are experiencing the same as us, whether that makes you feel better l don't know. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.