Leaving 4mm Kidney Stone Untreated - Safe?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello - I have a 4 mm stone stuck in mid ureter for 10+ weeks.  Previously have passed 4 mm stones and smaller.

This time around has been different. Never had the acute sharp pain. Instead it has been a dull pain, mild to moderate.  No sign of infection, no sign of urine obstruction, creatinine levels are within range.  

My doctor is suggesting ureteroscopy given duration I've had stone.  Do I have any urgency to do so or can I continue to wait it out and hope it passes. 

What would be the harm of waiting a couple more months of pain is tolerable with little to no meds?

Thanks!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

edit: What would be the harm of waiting a couple more months IF pain is tolerable with little to no meds?
  • Posted

You really need to ask your GP that question.

I would guess there is no harm in waiting but I am not medically trained and would hate to be giving you the wrong advice.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

It should be fine as long as its not causing you pain. You have two risks....UTI and it gets bigger. But treatment options on a 4mm are limited as its right on the borderline for lithotripsy. You do not want to have to go a uteroscopy unless its really causing you pain. A 4mm should pass on its own so i would hold out hope for that vs forcing the issue!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.