Leaving hospital now what

Posted , 6 users are following.

My mom was just diagnosed with diverticulitis and is on iv antibiotics to clear infection. When leaving hospital and still in pain what should her diet look like? What has helped anyone while having a flair up? Thanks.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi sorry to hear about your mum not well . I just been out of the hospital on Monday but the gave me a lots of tablets and painkillers 

Just ask if they can do that ...

• Posted

Hi when can you move gradually from the low fiber to a high fiber food ??? 
    • Posted

I personally would not try until the medication was finished and all the side effects from it worn off.  I don't feel much like eating until then anyway.  So a week or two, depending on how you  feel.  Then just a little bit at a time.  It's a very individual thing.  Please don't do what one poster did - came out of hospital and had a takeaway rice dish straight away.  They admitted it was a mistake lol!!!!  But I don't think they were laughing afterwards.

• Posted

well for me its been 2 years since i started with this problem and every time i try to go on a higher fibre diet 

i start having problems. so now i don't bother 

• Posted

Hi everyone, I'm so glad that I found this group. As I lie here on my couch in pain I'm wondering how long after diagnosis Does it take to have a bowel movement? This is my first episode of diverticulitis and it is extremely painful. I've already lost 10 lbs which is not a bad thing. LOL but the pain is not worth it. but thank you for any help, Vanessa

• Posted

It's an extremely individual thing.  A lot of people report the opposite problem - the runs.  Other things to take into account are:  what medication are you on as side effects vary;  have you stopped eating and are just on fluid.  Less in = less out!!  Some people take Miralax or Lactulose.  I personally regulate my bowels with daily doses of Fybogel, but that's maintenance only, not dealing with the initial constipation

For your pain I suggest paracetemol (UK) or the USA equivalent.  NOT aspirin, codeine or Ibuprofen as they all irritate your insides, which are already very irritated.  Heat - a wheat pad, hot gel pack or hot water bottle also helps.  Also, if you can bear it, some walking, and that will encourage your insides to move as well. 

It can take 4 - 6 weeks to get over an attack, or even longer.  In my case it was always 4 weeks, but last time I had 3 attacks in quick succession and it was 10 months+.  This forum will give you lots of advice on how to manage DD as its with you for life.  A good low fat healthy diet with soluble fibre (insoluble fibre can be a bit rough on your insides particularly in the healing stage) and less of the high fat highly processed food.  You should keep a food diary at first to work out what foods, if any, trigger your pain.  Mine are gluten and full fat.  I allow myself the occasional bad food, but usually pay for it the next day.  For other people it can really vary - red meat, diary, nuts, skins, seeds.  We are all different and have to find our own individual way.  As there is no set answer doctors are pretty vague, contradictory and useless - for example: "eat more fibre, but if it upsets you, don't".  Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.