Leaving the past behind...

Posted , 3 users are following.

For all who struggle letting go of the past, be it Depression, PTSD or any other Mental Health issue this excerpt helped me to put things into perspective, in the context of letting the past go rather than holding on to it, carrying it and allowing it to bother us. I hope it helps you too...

“The inability or rather unwillingness of the human mind to let go of the past is beautifully illustrated in the story of two Zen monks, Tanzan and Ekido, who were walking along a country road that had become extremely muddy after heavy rains. Near a village, they came upon a young woman who was trying to cross the road, but the mud was so deep it would have ruined the silk kimono she was wearing. Tanzan at once picked her up and carried her to the other side.

The monks walked on in silence. Five hours later, as they were approaching the lodging temple, Ekido couldn’t restrain himself any longer. “Why did you carry that girl across the road?” he asked. “We monks are not supposed to do things like that.”

“I put the girl down hours ago,” said Tanzan. “Are you still carrying her?”

Extract From: Eckhart Tolle “A New Earth.”

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Does that mean, the monk who carried the woman over is saying to the other monk, for lack 9d a better phase:I did that ages ago, are you still going on about it. And have you still got her in your mind? Hence, saying :are you still carrying her? Is that interpretation correct? Donna x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.