leaving work to look after my sister

Posted , 3 users are following.

my sister is disabled  and getting pip if her partner dies can I leave work to look after her and will they sanction me for doing this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

That depends if it's Daily living part of PIP she claims. Is her partner sick? Or are you just thinking of the future? eek

• Posted

yes she gets daily living and mobility,

her partner is also  disabled and I am thinking ahead as she cannot look after her self

• Posted

Oh right, i see..... Claiming Carers Allowance for her would also depend on what other benefits she recieves. If her partner claims PIP/DLA and they both claim ESA there could be premiums added on and claiming Carers Allowance would affect those premiums.

• Posted

You would need to claim carers allowance provided your sister is getting the relevant benefits.  Have a look on the Gov.UK site for more information.  You could become her carer even if her husband is still alive providing you both meet the criteria. 

You don't get sanctioned unless you are claiming Jobseekers Allowance.  As you wouldn't be then this won't apply.  You wouldn't be entitled to both benefits and if you are claiming JSA then it needs to be full time anyway.  x

• Posted

Agreed Bev but as i said above if the persons sister claims certain disability premiums if they claim ESA then claiming carers allowance would stop those premiums. As both the sister and partner as disabied they may both be claiming ESA and PIP, which means they could both be claiming the Severe Disability Premium and if someone claims Carers Allowance for either of them, it would wipe out the SDP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.