Left Achilles post surgery - still can’t drive!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I fully ruptured my left Achilles on October 3rd 2017 It’s now Jan 6th 2018 and I still can’t drive  manual car.

I hadn’t surgery, 2 weeks in a cast, and 11 weeks in air boot, with 1 week to go.

Interesting to note - I haven’t had any physio yet. I was told this would start post air boot. Is this normal?

Curious to know when people gained strength to drive a manual/stick? Finding strength to push clutch with left foot seems impossible.

Would be great to get some feedback! 

Thanks smile

Clare 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

*HAD  surgery , not hadn’t 
  • Posted

I’ve had 4 surgeries on my achilles and spent time in aircast boot in between surgeries as well. At that point I ended up driving with the boot on. Maybe not the best idea but seemed ok to do. This time I had surgery beginning of April and was driving an automatic car until October. Probably could have driven around end of August time as my calf felt a lot stronger then. Didn’t get Physio until August though! Took forever to get appt through. Hope you start to regain some strength in your leg. Know how skinny mines was and still isn’t the same size as my right leg! I found swimming really helped though xx
    • Posted

Hi Scottie,

THansk for the info. I might give swimming a try! X

• Posted

Hi CLaire

I ruptured mine in April 16 and never got back into manual purely cause once I drove an automatic I didn’t want to change back.  

I would not be worried that you cannot drive yet especially as you haven’t even had Physio.... unfortunately it is a slow process so expect to drive only once you have built strength which takes a long time.... in terms of Physio I started to get Physio whilst in the boot although this was through my private health insurance. If you don’t have access I would seriously consider going private for the Physio as it make a world of difference! Even if they are doing muscle work for now ie working your calf etc it all helps.... however they will only do it once you have all of the wedges out of the air boot.... 

You’ve probably heard beforehand but patience is the key with this injury... but get to Physio asap.. post boot I was going twice a week for the first 4 weeks.

Good luck!! 

• Posted

Hi,

I think an automatic might be the way to go!

I guess I have to be a bit more patient! X

• Posted

Hi Clare.

I don't think you will be far away from driving ,hopefully.

I was in a cast for 7 weeks (non op) and then in a boot for about 4.

I went back to work after 4 months overall,was driving 2-3 weeks before going back to work.

You will never be 100% again.

Im about 80%. But then again im55.

stick to the physio,it's a must.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.