left almost suicidal after fistula surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

hi everyone, some advice would be very appreciated, 

almost 2 years ago i was in incredible pain to where i couldn't move, i went to the g.p who said i had an anal haemorrhoid and gave me the medication to treat it at home, 5 days passed and the pain was getting worse, i was unable to go to toilet for 3 days, i ended up going to a walk in clinic who said straight away i had an abscess and surgery was performed that very same night, i was told in most cases, this turns into a fistula which needs a follow up surgery a few months later,. after second surgery everything seemed to be fine, i followed up with the nurse for just over a month for redressing of wound, . now wound completely healed the nurse said, but there was still constant discharge being released from wound or surrounding area, i have had over 7 MRI scans since then and they are telling me the wound has healed and they don't know what this is, and 1 doctor suggested that i should have to live like this for the rest of my life, I have no idea what to do, i cant live a life like this, id rather be dead. 

if anyone has any advice on anything please let me know as I'm all out of any sane thoughts 

thanks in advance 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, there - fistula is bad, but not that bad! It seems you are not given good information. Check this forum - it’s mentioned a few times - a Facebook group called rectal fistula group is one place to get yourself a lot if info and support. Many fistula do heal, alhough not without efforts. You also should see a good Colon Rectal Surgeon (at least that what’s called in the U.S.) to correctly detect what type of fistula you have and go from there (location, length, etc) and possible cause if there is one, like Crohn’s, etc. You will then find out your options! People do heal from it!
  • Posted

Hi john

I have my fistula for a year now. Yes it is painful, it is uncomfortable and yes it is a long road. I had my first op back in september2017 and seton was inserted. Since then, simptoms are much milder but I still have constant discharge. Now I am waiting for second surgery called LIFT. I heard that it can be very painful and also not succesful but at least I am trying my best to sort this out.  You are not alone.  Just be patient, try to eat well so you digestion is smoth. And don’t put your life on hold. Go wherever and whenever you would normaly go. Dont make decision to stay at home and think of that all the time.  Stay positive . You’ll sort this out . Everyone has something to worry about. At last but not least it is not life threatening and you’ll get your life back. 

Good luck 

• Posted

Hi I had op on Sunday for a perianal abscess they have put seton in told I have to go back in 8 weeks . Not opened my bowels , yet worried it will hurt . 
  • Posted

@penguin59394 Hi penguin, thank you for the link and reply, i will check it out, im from the u.k and we are having a N.H.S crisis, its very hard to get to see any kind of doctor, the surgoens that performed the surgery wont even have a meet with you, they have special assistants, which was the one who suggested i have to live like this till i die, im currently waiting for the results from my last mri scan, once i see the results i will see where i can go next.

@bianca58003  Hi Bianca, thank you for replying, i never heard of a LIFT procedure, after they drained the abscess the first time, all the pain went away, i have never felt pain, only when i work for very long hours it sort of feels like carpet burns between the cheeks due to the discharge moisture, and it gets a bit sore, but never any serious pain, which i dont understand, im  being told everything has healed, and they dont know whats wrong with me, very frustrating and depressing, Im trying to do most normal things, but i cant bring myself to get in a relation ship or have sex as i feel dirty. im just praying it goes away 

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up