LEFT ALONE BECAUSE I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH IBS

Posted , 4 users are following.

24 years w/husband who left after me being diagnosed with Irritable bowel syndrome...im distraught will i ever find someone who can relate to my symptoms

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Are you seriously blaming IBS for the reason for  your husband leaving you. ? 
    • Posted

Yes, I have been with my husband for 24 years we don't believe in women passing gas, belching or having a bowel movement and making it a public matter. I wasn't raised that way and certainly he wasn't either. The gas and excessive diarrhea were quite offensive. From someone who didn't go to the bathroom to cracking paint, I'm STILL not comfortable. Maybe you've been exposed to this type of environment but I wasn't. SORRY!

• Posted

I think women are better at empathy and sympathy than men in some cases.  I have to hide it from my dad if I am unwell because he makes annoyed faces and get verbally aggressive.  He did the same when my mum caught bugs and then developed dementia.  He is sympathetic when it suits him.  It took me a month to tell him I had an IBS flare up recently and when I did tell him, he was aggressive and dismissive of my symptoms and fragile stomach.  I do sympathise.
  • Posted

It is a pity to know about such an attitude from those who are supposed to more concerned about their loved ones rather than adopt an indifferent attitude. Does n't generally happen at least where I live. May God bless them with suitable guidance.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. It's been really hard. Everything associated with my gastrointestinal dysfunction was quite an issue because certain things are unacceptable PERIOD! we've been separated for 6 months after 24 years. I can't change my situation but I don't know how I can have a serious relationship with someone else without this being a real "adjustment" for them..

• Posted

hello
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. I'm just not sure how to address the issue. I'm 44 and I don't know how to actually break the ice with someone new about my condition. It's embarrassing and I'm very self conscious. It's just not that simple.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.