Left arm and hand weak and numb

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi ladies. My anxiety is at an all time high this evening. My left arm all the way down to my hand has been weak and numb today. Do any of you experience this? I'll be 38 years old I'm January and i have tons of perimenopause symptoms. Is this a common one? Please help....im scared 😭😭

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

• Posted

I think anxiety in general is common during Perimenopause. I’m a worrier my nature so it’s very hard for me because I’ve had anxiety even before menopause. But the numbness can definitely be caused from anxiety. 
  • Posted

I agree with Dawn...anxiety is VERY common during perimenopause. It can literally make you think you are going crazy and are dying (heart palpitations, chest pain, acid reflux, joint pain, insomnia, feeling jittery, feeling nervous and the list goes on and on). 
  • Posted

Hi kellys38, I got up with my hand numb this morning but I remember my Doctor telling me numbness is a symptom of the menopause and jittery as well.
    • Posted

Good to know!! Do you have acid reflux? I have never had any problems until I entered perimenopause and it is freaking me out
    • Posted

Thanks so much Maria! I've heard that too but i needed reassurance. It always makes you feel better when you hear of someone else having the same scary symptoms as you. Not that I'm glad you're going through this either though. I wish none of us had to. 

• Posted

I have acid reflux and indigestion more now than i ever have. Sometimes for no obvious reason. 
    • Posted

Me too Kelly, everthing seem to give me acid reflux worst now meno..when I lie down sometimes it reaches up in my throat I'm scared of endoscopes hate anything going down my throat and if they are not going to put you out I can't have it Lol.

• Posted

I had this happen to me last year. It lasted about 2 months . And as quickly as it started is as quickly as it stopped . To this day , I don't know exactly what it was . But I do know that I have had so many different things with peri menopause thst I can't name or remember them all! Try not to worry 💜

• Posted

Tha makes me feel better Renee. Thank you so much. And i know what you mean. I've had so many and i forget until somebody mentions something and I'm like "ohhh yeahhhh.....been there done that!" Lol. I'm trying my hardest not to worry and your comment has helped a ton. Thanks again so much 

• Posted

Can any one help with some medication especially something with magnesium and also preferably if it would be some homoepathy

• Posted

Well these symptoms eventually landed me in the ER last night with an anxiety attack that felt like a heart attack. I knew it was probably an anxiety attack but i couldn't convince my mind that it was anything but a heart attack. Home safe and sound now and of course the doctor prescribed me anxiety meds. I already told myself i wasn't going to take anxiety meds. Does anyone here take them and do they help? It's not one that i take everyday, it's taken as needed. 

• Posted

I take them.  And it does help.  I am on my second bout of anxiety.  Had it over 10 years ago due to PTSD.  Got my head around it and swore I would never have it again.  Boom.  High stress situation and I have it full blown.  

Xanax helps to calm you down so you can feel you are in control.  I take them every once in awhile now.  And I only take a quarter pill although if I was really anxious I took half.  Very small amount but that was what I needed to calm me down.  I know it can be partly due to hormones as I find so many women have anxiety during menopause.  

Now I still have some anxiety.  I have been able to stop a panic attack.  I tell myself okay its just anxiety.  You know what will happen.  It will peak and then you will calm down and feel better.  And I am able stop them.  And it takes awhile to get that point.  My first bout I ended up in the emergency room twice. 

But start with a small amount see how you feel.  No alcohol.  Lots of people have used alcohol to treat anxiety but it doesn't work.  I take alprazolam 0.25 MG and then I cut them into quarters.  There is a very good book. Anxiety and Phobia Workshop Book.  Really helped me.  Don't worry Once you get over that hump anxiety will never be able to push you around like your first panic attack.  

• Posted

Thank you so much Beth! Your words of encouragement are way more helpful than you even know. I'm going to at least get them filled that way if i ever feel like it did last night again at least i will have them available. This is definitely tough and is taking a toll on me because it has all hit me out of left field. 

• Posted

Yep, that's what anxiety does just comes up and slams you in the back of the head.  There is also a program on PBS about anxiety.  If you google you can probably watch it online  Its very good.   Don't worry you will get your head around it.  It won't kill you.  But it feels like it will.  

Don't drink caffeine. Take calcium and magnesium. 

• Posted

Yes. I used to be able to drink coffee all day and it never bothered me. I could go to bed right after drinking a cup. Not anymore. The slightest bit of caffeine gives me the jitters and a fuzzy feeling. Decaf it is. And great, thanks SO much! I will definitely check out the program on pbs. I hope your bout of anxiety goes away again to never return. 
    • Posted

Do your symptoms get worse during your cycle?? 

I am taking Paxil now for anxiety (low dose 10mg) and I honestly can't tell any difference sad Gong to see if she can increase dosage

• Posted

There is no difference because antidepressants don't work on anxiety.  I know they put me on an antidepressant and xanax for a year.  It was the xanax that helped.  Its helps you to calm down and get your head around it.  Makes you feel you are in control not anxiety.  Ask for xanax.  If you take a very small amounts you won't become addicted.  Besides people with anxiety have anxiety about pills and addiction.

• Posted

I thought that too when she prescribed it for me but she said Paxil is for generalized anxiety disorder too. I have an appointment with her tomorrow and I'm going to ask if she can give me Xanax or something like that for when I have these episodes. She's just a general practitioner and I don't think she has any clue on what I'm going through because apparently she hasn't gone through it yet. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy

Did your peri symptoms become worse while you were on your cycle?

• Posted

Yes my anxiety is almost unbearable about 5 days before my menstrual cycle and for the first 2 days during. I'm supposed to start my cycle in 3 days so it's pretty high right now. 

• Posted

Me too. Just started today and had a horrible day....love being a woman lol
    • Posted

GP's don't have enough experience for psych meds.  I don't know why they think they do.  You can't go off Paxil cold turkey.  Ask for the xanax take it and see how you do.  I find even a very small amount helps.  

I have already gone through it. I know I still have hormones rolling around in here but try to the tell the nurse practitioner its like talking to a brick wall.  I have learned more from this site than anywhere. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.