Left bundle branch block??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone

?Am a newbie here and have recently been suffering with breathlesseness and chest pain. Had an ECG done in January and it was irregular. The problem I have is I've still got the irregular ECG reading months later and now know it's called a Left bundle branch block? Wondered if anyone else has this problem and if so how is it treated? What causes it and does it go away again?  Thanks in advance for any help on this x

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all, 

I had this diagnosed after presenting to ED, I had palpitations, what took me to hospital. Constant palpitations. Initially it was intermittent LBBB, now permanent. No underlying cardiac disease could be found yet. The Cardiologists just did not believe I could feel myself going in and out of this rhythmn when it first started. I could watched it myself on the screen during an exercise test. Anyway, after a year of sick leave in desperation I begged to try something other than beta blockers, calcium channel blockers have helped. I am back at work, but still get breakthrough palpitations occasionally.Get regular echocardiogram to check on heart muscle function, can lead to problems try to get regular checks.

• Posted

Hi Jac1707

?Its certainly a strange thing this LBBB isn't it! I still don't know how I got LBBB  still waiting to find out if I have any underlying cardiac disease?! Although echocardiogram and MRI show no heart problems which is a reliefsmile I'm hoping to know more tomorrow when I go for a CT angiogram scan if there is any other valve problems etc.  Hope your well and not suffering with awful palpitations now your meds have changed. I'm on beta blockers for the palpitations and they seem to help.   All the best Jac1707

• Posted

Hi Chelle69,

Thanks for the reply, hope all goes well. The real depressing part of my illness was the medicos basically telling me I couldn’t feel what I did, no one can feel LBBB. It was my sister a Critical Care nurse who suggested I ask for the calcium channel blockers that got me back to work. It was like magic after a year of misery, no underlying disease yet 2 years down track. Like your thread, thanks for the support.

• Posted

HI

I know it was a while ago you both discussed LBBB on here, but thanks for doing so. You gave me a lot more information than anyone else.

• Posted

Hi Gaz-TickTocked,

Sorry to hear you have this problem, but it ca n be managed and lived with successfully. I still work and take a calcium channel blocker. An angiogram will show if you have any slightly blocked arteries in the heart( this can be easily treated these days with stents). Unfortunately,LBBB is permanent, it can happen for no reason , but more commonly is related to a blocked coronary artery and a very small heart attack. Because having LBBB means on branch of our electrical system supplying the pumping chambers is not working we have to rely on the right bundle branch to depolarize our hearts and cause the contraction in the main pumping chamber the left ventricle, which gives oxygen rich blood to our bodies. Because this is a slower electrical way to get the heart to pump we have a wide tracing on our ECG’s plus a few other little ECG changes or EKG if you are American.

Get regular check ups with your GP and if necessary physician or Cardiologist. Get 2 yearly echocardiograms as this rythmn can cause problems with the heart muscle over time, this is because the heart is pumping right then left, not the usual left then right, this can sometimes cause the muscle to work harder and thicken, caught early it can be managed before causing problems.

Often this is caught on routine ECG’s, and can cause no symptoms, no cure though, once th LBBB stops working it is retired no coming back to work. We don’t need a pacemaker box as our hearts still work, just not quite as routinely.

Some medics can be dismissive and unhelpful, if so move doctors if you can. Just try to get 2 yearly echocardiograms to check heart muscle function, keep moderately fit and don’t worry, lots of people walk around with this and don’t know the have it.

Take care,

jac1707

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply Chelle69. Loads of information.

I'm having my ECG soon. I had a gradual build up of fatigue and breathlessness but over the last two weeks it absolutely stepped up.

Chest pain through to my back and up to my right shoulder. Sometimes my neck and jaw.

Breathlessness can be scary, particularly as my Father in Law is dying of a respiratory illness.

Fatigue chronic at times, embarrassing as at times I look drunk and shuffle my feet.

I'm positive though that I will feel better and I learn more about what is happening to me.

Thanks Again

Garry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.