Left eye feels very dry and bothers me. Had it like that for I guess 2 years. What can I do?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Me left eye feels dry and bothers me. Both eyes are sometimes red but this happenes since I am a kid. But on the left eye I feel like I need to put saliva on it to ease the feeling. Also I see a little bit worse with it until it gets like focused. It also looks a bit closed compared to the right eye. I had been told that its allergy chronic conjuntivitis and also red could be dry eye. What could it be? How do I stop it? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If you've had it that long, you probably have tried all the various drops that would ease the stickiness much better than saliva (not a good idea, i expect!).

The half-closed and unfocus all sound like part of the one dry-eye problem.

If it's an allergic reaction, then you need to find out what you're allergic to. (Eliminate everything except basics from your diet for a week or so and then slowly re-introduce your other foods one by one and see how your eye reacts).

onjunctivits usually produces a kind of congealed gunk, which you don't mention.

Check blepharatis (easily eliminated!)

You don't say how old you are. Dry eye tends to come with incresing age.

• Posted

Thank you for your answer. I don't have any gunk, it just feels dry and some times (not often) when laying down I tear and is a relief, as well as when I put eyedrops. 

I am 24 almost 25 years old and very healthy, don't know what is it but it is really annoying! It coud be the blepharitis, I was also recommended to clean my eyes with long eyelashes with a qtip and baby oil!

• Posted

Are you sure you were reccommended baby oil and not baby shampoo?

As it's about cleaning the eyelash area of the sebaceous glands' oily residue, I find it hard to believe anyone could suggest baby oil.

I heat the eye area with warm to hot eye pads (folded flannels in hot water), then use a Q-tip (aha, maybe this is where you use a tiny drop of baby oil on the Qtip!) to massage the eye lid downwards towards the eyelashes.

Then you dip a fresh Q-tip,(a new one with each swipe) in warm water mixed with a drop of baby shampoo, and run it gently, carefully along the rim of each eyelid and eyelash area, top and bottom, using a clean Q-tip each time you swipe.

Do this every day for 10 or so days and it should sort the problem if it's blepharitis.

• Posted

I would get checked out for Blepharitis?
    • Posted

It could be, I have long eyelashes and had been thinking of cleaning them more often but did not know how. I only pass a qtip with water through them, but was recommended to do it with baby oil. But I don't know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.