Left hand paralysis following shoulder cortisone injection

Posted , 4 users are following.

i had a cortisone shot in the back of my left shoulder for pain and bone spur, also left shoulder pain. 1 day after the injection, I felt my arm go weak and have lost the feeling in my left hand! I cannot move my fingers and the pain in my shoulder is worse! They now have me going to a neurologist because of the left side weakness and paralysis in my left wrist and hand! I can’t sleep because of the shoulder pain and my hand is paralyzed!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

The doctor hit a nerve.  UGH!!  this is unfortunate.  Hold the doctor who injected you accountable.  Good luck!
    • Posted

Ty henpen1980! I kind of figured that! I just got my MRI report showing impingement in my spine! Do you have any  idea what nerve was hit!? I have to see a neurologist next tues! 
    • Posted

Sleep: (1) in a recliner; (2) 5-6 pillows to prop yourself up - build a wedge and cradle.

Nerve: the doctor will go over that with you.  Write or (politely) ask the doctor to write down the important details of the visit for you if you are unable to write.  Listen carefully during this visit.  Bring your questions on a note card, so you don't forget.  I would ask if your issue is the result of your shoulder injury or the injection.

Some people champion cortisone injections, but if you do some research online (via medical journals et al.), there is quite a bit of research that provides the negative end of the cortisone injections. 

I have had two in my lifetime. The first was into my heel.  I did not want the injection, but the podiatrist insisted (plantar fascia rupture recovery).  It was a HORRIBLE injection.  I could not weight bear on foot and crawl from the car to the house.   The injection did nothing to help.  I never went back to that doctor.  I wonder(ed) if that doctor was simply pushing injections to collect the extra money from the insurance company.  She pushed braces, splints; shoe inserts specially made orthotics.  Crazy.  I declined all that extra junk.  She said, "well, you won't be paying for it." She reminded me of a car salesman.The second injection was into the sheath of my bicep tendon after surgery to repair/reattach two tendons of the rotator cuff that I completely ripped off the ball of the humerus.  I had a stupid wacky accident that tore three of the four rotator cuff muscles, crazy.  I was nervous, but my shoulder surgeon used ultrasound technology to guide the needle into the sheath of the bicep tendon.  It was seamless, and it worked with remarkable success.  Did you doctor use ultrasound or just stab you?

Stay calm and make your list of questions.  GOOD LUCK!

• Posted

Jan. 13th and still no movement in my fingers! I see the neurologist on Tuesday Jan.16th! I was wondering if I will ever get the feeling back in my fingers! I’m a mess and very depressed! I’ll se what the neurologist says! Praying for a miracle here 🙌🏽🙏🏼🙌🏽

• Posted

I will keep you in prayer too! I'm a very strong believer in God, and He has helped me get through all the pain I'm going through! If it wasn't for our Lord Jesus Christ, I really don't know where I would be, or how I would feel! God is my strength, and I have faith and trust in Him! Don't give up; give it all to our Lord Jesus Christ! Trust and have Faith in Him! God bless you Nick.

• Posted

Thank you Normita😊 When I got the cortisone shot in my shoulder, I lost feeling in my left hand and wrist! I have no movement in my fingers, and I believe they hit a main nerve with the shot! I am very spiritual and have a strong belief in The Almighty Creator! Next step is a neurological exam along with an in depth EMG on the 16th! God doesn’t I’ve you more than you can handle! I pray that I get some relief for the pain and that they can resolve this issue! I can only hope that I get some feeling back, because some feeling is better than no feeling! Ty for the prayers as I certainly need them! I will keep you updated on the test tomorrow! Ty for your concern??

• Posted

thank you for caring henpen1980! I’ve had my MRI and it shows damage from C1-C6! I go for a neurological exam along with an in depth EMG tomorrow! Hopefully they will find the nerve that’s impinged! Praying for a miracle here! I have faith that everything will be ok and I get some relief and hopefully some movement on my left hand and wrist! I have no movement of my fingers and my shoulder is in a lot of pain! I will keep you informed on what’s going to happen once I get this test tomorrow! Thank you for your concern! ❤️
    • Posted

GREAT TO HEAR ON YOUR STRONG BELIEF IN OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST! ME TOO! PRAYING FOR GOOD RESULTS TOMORROW!!
  • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear that! You're going to have to get a MRI to see what's going on. I pray the doctors find out very soon what's going on with you, so it can get taken take of! It could be a nerve. Praying that everything gets taken care of real soon, and you have relief! Keep us informed. God bless you!

• Posted

I had an MRI LAST WEEK, showing a lot of damage from my C1-C6! Now the test tomorrow should show where the nerve is impinged! Surgery will come once they find out which nerve is impinged! Thank you so much for caring! I will keep you informed on what goes on tomorrow! Praying for a miracle🙌🏽🙏🏼🙌🏽!

• Posted

THANK YOU NICK! I'M THINKING IT'S A NERVE ISSUE TOO! I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED AS WELL!

• Posted

Oh wow! I'm sorry to hear that! I hope and pray you have a good outcome tomorrow too! Have a bless and relaxed evening.

• Posted

I was thinking of having that procedure performed on my right shoulder but after reading your story I think I’m just going to stick with the pain medication for now. 

As a former Physician’s Assistant with over 30 years of experience I have seen the procedure performed many times with varying results, but no actual paralysis.

Did they use any form of imaging  to pinpoint the injection spot?

Please keep us posted on what I hope will be a complete recovery with no residual. 

• Posted

So I just got this cortisone shot in my left shoulder also on March 26, 2018 and since then I am beginning to feel my arm get weaker and the shoulder pain is more. Have you done anything that has helped your arm yet? I need to call my doctor in the morning. I have never had one of these shots before and had no idea what to expect. I was just talking to my husband about it and then read this. I had no idea this could happen. Now what to do? Ugh!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.