Left knee injury

Posted , 5 users are following.

A week ago I was doing some exercises (mainly star jumps and lunges) which I managed ok at the time.

However the next day my left knee started to become quite painful all around and underneath the kneecap, mainly at the inner side of the kneecap but also some on the outer side. There was also pain at the back of the knee on the outer side. The pain was quite sharp at the back of my knee, and a more of an ache around the kneecap. There didn't appear to be any noticeable swelling.

There is also some popping at the top knee joint and at the area on the back of my knee when I walk or extend it, and each time it pops there is new pain in those areas.

I also found when I lie down and pull my knee up against my chest, there is a spot on the inner side of the knee just next to my kneecap that I could manipulate with my fingers. It's a bit like pressing down on a plastic bottle where it pushes in and then pops back out again. If I do this a few times some dull pain starts spread to the area. The same spot also pops and catches when I'm walking.

I went to the GP 3 days ago and he put me through a range of leg movements which I could do ok, but it was also painful the the same areas. He said he wasn't sure and it may be split cartilage, and to give it 3 weeks to see if it heals.

But I'm finding it difficult to walk properly at the moment as my knee is both painful and stiff and I'm wondering if I should seek further medical help. Does anyone have any suggestions what the issue could be?

I've attached 3 photos:

Image 1 - The area I feel pain around my kneecap.

Image 2 - The area at the back of my knee that is painful, and pops when I'm walking.

Image 3 - The spot next to my kneecap that I can manipulate with my fingers, and also pops when I'm walking.

Thank you,

Michael

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

If I were you I would go to orthopedic walk in place to make sure it’s not injured
  • Posted

Every where your knee hurts is the same places mine hurt and there telling me it’s arthritis in my knee I’m having tnr may 2 I’m praying it gets better after that 

• Posted

Hii tammy.. how did yours come on? Was it just over night like ours or had you had pain before?? Xx
  • Posted

We're not docs...no idea what the photos show...

First advice from your GP was correct.  If this was just a pull or a strain, give it a few weeks plus anti-inflammatories to see what happens.  A bone bruise may take longer.  Ice and elevate.

If it doesn't get better, the next step is to see a SPORTS orthopedic surgeon.  Examination and imaging may reveal the source problem.  If not, they usually send you for an MRI.  The problem is that MRIs are not always conclusive.  (PS: I had this happen four times, twice each knee over a number of years.)

Last step is for the doc to "scope" the knee (arthroscopy).  Once inside, the doc will always (I think) actually see and fix the problem.  For me, it was two torn menisci and two ripped off femoral condyle cartilages.  In all four cases, I had the op on a Friday, iced and elevated over the weekend, and then took my portable Cryo-Cuff (Aircast) to work for a few days.  For me, at least, knee scopes were a simple no-brainer with no rehab.

That's your path...

• Posted

Pearls dance hall is crazy old school- I love new country but fell in love with my husband a two stepping calf roper

Turned banker at a Hank Williams Jr concert.  Rock and the Piano Bar are more fun- but..... when I hit one year I am going to Pearls and two step the night away. 😊

• Posted

Played at Pearl's once in February of '16 a month before my knee replacement.  Then the band had to do a bassist replacement because I was totally out of commission.  Still am with all my spine surgeries.  Gotta find a new band soon...

• Posted

Hii there you story sounds very simular to me exapt i dont actually remember doing anything i just woke up 6:weeks atv4 am with a very swollen sore knee,did same as u went doctors b told cartalage n to see if it settles since then ive been hospital an doctors 3 more times it hurts an flares up so much all the time i had a mri scan but to be told its normal, my doctor refered me to a rthorpidic doctor witch im waiting on the app for, apart from the lump u talk about mine hurts the same as u its as if my bones round my knee are buses 😣 mines been like a ballon the last 2 days aswell ... id like to see what comes of urs an ill keeo you posted on mine .... i hope urs doesnt last as long as mine xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.