Left side lower abdominal pain.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 42 years old & I was diagnosed with diverticula disease last year April. I was shocked as I thought my symptoms were IBS.

I changed my eating habits & my symptoms improved.

I think I've had this condition for many years as I've had many episodes of left sided pain lower quadrant pain and accompanied by constipation. 

I have found that wine and an erratic diet triggers my symptoms.My question is this how long does the pain last? My pain is going on almost 2 weeks. It did not last so long when I was younger. I've had No fever, no blood in stool. Just pain & loss of appetite.

I have taken senokot however I just feel my bowels don't empty fully.p & it causes cramps. I've started to change my eating habits & exercise but this pain is getting me down.

Does anyone have a similar experience of ongoing pain. 

Ive ordered a stool softer psyllium husk (as recommended by another reader), I also ordered probiotics & Omega (for its anti inflammatory qualities) 

I want to get well. Any support would be greatly appreciated.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I find going on a 24 to 48 hours fluid only , helps me and pain killers then slowely bring back food like mash pototoe
    • Posted

Thank you for this, I had some beef broth for lunch & it eased the pain. 

Had some brown rice and salmon for dinner and the pain was very bad . I've found herbal tea rooibos (with added honey) relieved the pain after eating. 

I'm going to try to have clear fluids and clear broths for the next few days. Will see how I get on. 

• Posted

Rice plays mine up some thing terrible brown rice even worse it's a pain sometimes I feel it's better just to stop eating but of course I won't but it gets you down I know when I am starting a flaire up I get very tearful and take to my bed for 2 to 3 days with a hot water bottle and plenty of water

• Posted

Thank you, yes I agree I will eat clear broths today.

I remember in April last year after severe pain, I drank the laxative to evacuate my colon. The stuff was vile but my pain virtually disappeared. 

So I think drinking clear fluids & soups whilst keeping your colon clear is a good way of giving it a chance to recover.

Thank you for the advice. 

• Posted

Hi

I'm sorry to hear you have the big D.  Like you I was originally told IBS but was finally diagnosed properly 15 years ago.  Since then I have had 4 flare ups, the last one being last August.  When I was younger I generally reckoned the pain would clear up after around 4 weeks.  This last time was different though, and after 2 months I was sent for a colonoscopy and CT scan in case something more sinister was going on.  These confirmed my Diverticular Disease had gone from moderate to very severe (which was better than the feared alternative!).  Many people on the forum have reported that their disease develops and worsens, so that may be the case with you as well.

After 3 months of pain I joined this forum, followed the advice and have been virtually pain free for the last month.  By upping my psyllium husk and taking it with plenty of water, I now feel I empty myself properly and regularly, although my problem during a flare was the opposite of constipation!!  I also believe that the probiotics and pure aloe vera juice have helped heal my insides, as the pain started to subside within a few days of starting them.

I am not a medical person, but think it must take time for the insides to heal from the inflammation and infection.  As you have discovered the symptoms can be triggered by certain foods and drinks - everyone in different - and it is best to avoid those foods.  I have seen some posts where people have reported the pain lasting just a few weeks, and others like myself taking much longer to heal.  Sometimes it has taken a 2nd course of antibiotics.

The good thing though is that with care and diet things should improve.  I have finally felt sufficiently free of pain to resume my exercise regime this past week, but it has taken time and patience.  So you are not alone in what you are experiencing.  I treated my pain with paracetemol (with my GP's OK) and a good old fashioned hot water bottle.  I also took plenty of fluids, rested and was very careful how I moved, restricting movements that made the pain worse (like bending and driving).  Hang in there and best wishes.

• Posted

Dear Felina,

Thank you for your informative reply you would not know how much it means. I am so glad that I came across this forum after spending days looking for more information. I now feel reassured that the pain will reduce and with care my condition will improve. Today I will pop over to my local Holland and Barret for some Aloe Vera juice.

Sadly I think my unhealthy eating in the past has exacerbated my condition. It is time to take care of my body now. 

Will keep the forum updated with my progress.

Thank you for you help. Best wishes to you as well.

• Posted

Hi

I'm sure most of us on this Forum are saying "if only I had made better food choices"!!!  But there is life after a flare and with any luck, some weight loss!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.