Left side nasal problems, with constant sticky mucus dranaige is killing me!!! Help!

Posted , 13 users are following.

For years I´ve struggled with nasal congestion problems, and I managed living with it for years! About two years ago everything changed! The dimensions and sufferings since than have been in such a degree that I totally lost the functionality in my daily life! My complaints are such as constant sticky mucus either clogging or/both building up in my throat at the same time. I suspect this mucus is running back my throat, dripping from my nose. No ENT have detected where the mucus comes from or what the root of the problem is! The mucus is thick and gloomy and makes me to inhale air whith pressure and cough it up in regular basis. I also have such a pain or stinging kind of pain on left side cheek, over my left nostril! The air passes with deep difficulty through left nostril, and the degree of congestion and the pain usually follow each other! There is also a bad taste and odor from this liquid which might be the be mucus or something else! The smell and taste tends to be strongest if it´s been collected for a while before coughing it up!

I Struggle so terribly with sleeping! in average i have 3-4 hour of sleeping from 12-14 hours spending in bed! Total sleepness nights are night uncommen during a week! The few hours I have of sleeping is nothing like what I call normal sleep, because of the diffuclty and limited air passing through! What I notice is that I don´t tolerate physical activity at all, that includes even having a longer walk! It causes my mucosa to be totally on fire, with even more build up of mucus, pain which radiates even to my right side of nose and face. If I choose to try some strenght training at home, I usually have to sleepness night on the road!

The only times I´ve found relief from my symptoms and good breath and being able to sleep like other people, is in very few occations while I´ve been lying in spesific posture! After changing the postures or just getting up from bed, and the mucus, the irritation, the struggling left side nose is back! This part is a big riddle!

I´m in such a despair situation!  No doctors can conlcude what the problem is even after having two ct scans from the nose, laryngoscopy, 24 hours Ph- monitoring, different blood tests, diet, gastroscopy, lung check up with x-ray and so on...

I´ve had 4 surgical procedures in my nose earlier which have been done in Norway by qualifed surgons! My worry is if any destruction my have been done under those surgeries, but no ENT have confirmed that! Some ENT´s have confirmed that the right side of my nose is more open than the left side. But not enough to cause the complaints I have! I don´t really know what to belive! Can my symptoms be due to empty nose syndrome and been overseen??

I´ve had some abdominal problems the recent months without knowing if it´s related! It´s mainly on the right side where the liver and gallblader locate. Other times another kind of pain radiates further down left and right abdomen where my colon is! Can these symptoms be related to my respiratory system? (I´ve also checked my lungs with x-ray, but nothing detected). Can my problems be related to hormonal imbalance? I´ve checked my thyroid. Once it was  a bit to high, I think TSH 4.6, another time was a bit under 4.

Please if there is anyone familiar whith similar symptoms. please let me know! If anyone has any kind of test to recommend, please let me know too! The same goes with any hospital or clinic recommendations abroad which might have a more proactive aproach of examination!

Thanks a lot! 

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

PS to my  previous reply. it was a homoeopath 28 years ago who diagnosed I had a wheat allergy -the cause of excruciating gut pain.i eventually found this appled to gluten in rye  as well. It is now possible to get gluten free food and flour so life at last is much easier and I would now call it an intolerance. I can eat a small amount  of wheat but not every day. By the way if you are a cook and use Dove gluten free flour, which is brilliant, you can substitue the Self Raising easily in cakes etc but it does need a little extra lquid to get up to the normal mix. The Plain flour needs the addition of Xanathan gum. There are loads of recipes on the Dove Farm web site. Oats are OK for me as I understand they do not intrinsically contain gluten unless they have beeen milled in a factory where the apparatus is shared with flour or where the farmer has drown wheat in the next field -which is a bit extreme and would be more relevant to actual coeliacs.

Sorry this is not supposed to be a recipe website but I hope it helps!

• Posted

I have the mucous problem you describe, I also have intolerance to gluten also mentioned on here. I use Almond milk Dairy products encourage mucous. I find Soya milk gives me a very fast bowel, in fact most Soya basted product do this to me. 

I have problem sinuses, I use Fexofenidine antihestamine, the best one for me having been through them all. I also take Montilukast for my Asthma

About eight weeks ago I had Cystitis and was given two weeks of antibiotic of Cepholexin. Not only did it cure the Cystitis, I could breath through my nose, it was a real thrill. I have not been able to breath through my nose in years. I don't have a sense of smell either, still haven't. I have actually seen another blog on here, where someone else had the same situation as me, with Cystitis and Cepholexin. I am now going back to Dr to ask for another lot of Cepholexin as my blockage has reappeared. I read recently in the Newspaper here in U.K. (Not sure where you are from) Daily  Mirror a regular page by Dr Miriam Stoparge, she says a bad sinus infection can take 6 weeks of antibiotics for a complete recovery. I may even quote her to my doctor too. Or buy them online, here in U.K. We need a doctors prescription to obtain any antibiotics. I see Canada and USA will send to U.K. 

Regards Maureen

• Posted

This was very interesting? How did you get diagnosed for your Cystitis?

Did you suffer from breating from both sides or mostly on one? Do you belive the mucus issue was due to the same conditon?

Thanks!

• Posted

I would echo what the other contributors have said - you might just have to try things in turn... saline rinse, changing bedding, diet (e.g. dairy, gluten elimination) - these things have helped me, together with a fluticasone spray. For the rinse, I use a neti pot with pure salt and xylitol. Definitely worth getting allergy testing if you haven't already. Magnesium supplements (or just a good handful of pumpkin seeds) may help with sleep. Good luck.

• Posted

Dear Larches, all these measures I´ve been through, belive me!

Thanks for your comment!

• Posted

Hi. Yes I have a similar story. I was diagnosed with auto immune disorder 13 years ago. The start of my journey was with ent for similar sinus issues. I was also diagnosed with IBS which I didn't have. Various other symptoms. When I was diagnosed it sll came together. Symptoms I thought were untelated. The start of diagnosis for me was with a good rheumatologist. Have your esr crp and ana blood levels checked. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi, Thank you for your response! I just read your profile! I also have a bad kind of tinnitus in my right side of head! My hairloss has also been out of control the  last two years... Did you also struggle with unnatural thick mucus build up? Were you/are you intolerant to physical activity?
    • Posted

yes to all of that. I was so physically exhausted with muscle cramps and general mallaise my doc was going to diagnose me with chronic fatigue. And yes to the mucus. It was one of my first bad symptoms the chronic sinus pain and infections repeatedly. Went to ent and paid myself to see someone I was so desperate. He had nothing to suggest. 

Problem is that these symptoms seem random and unconnected. And also for some odd reason, no one seems to know anything about auto immune disease except those who deal with it directly. 

Neurologist was similarly unable to diagnose anything as was an gastroenterologist as was a gynaecologist! I went around the houses with different things going on. Guess what, they were all connected. I am now diagnosed with Behcet's disease. Don't be sidetracked by looking at the symptoms of that. You probably don't have that. Point is there are many which come under the same umbrella and have overlapping symptoms. Like Sjogren's and Lupus. And others too. All from same stable all can cause these symptoms, very overlapping. 

• Posted

Sam01206:

Really a tremendous amount of symptoms. One thing I am learning on my own journey is that your mental outlook can really affect your health - good and bad. In your case it is hard I bet not to be anxious and stressed with so many symptoms.

One thing that has really helped me over the years is Chinese medicine. Honestly it addresses the body and mind as a whole. Western medicine is so segmented into specialties - each of which attacks a different symptom with for-profit pharmaceutical companies playing a very large role. Consider finding a practitioner in your area.

Another thing I learned the hard way was never to take OTC medications for any reason.

Hope this helps- not medical advice, just my own experience.

• Posted

hi, don't want to be contradictory here but I think there are terrible dangers if someone has an auto immune disease in using non prescription medicines. It is not to say this person has an auto immune disease but I would want to rule it out first before taking any kind of medicine prescription or non prescription. I did that in the past with dreadful consequences. My immune system is already over active and anything which makes stimulates the immune system more can be dangerous to me. 

I too had a tremendous amount of symptoms and the therapy I use now has taken them away completely. I think diagnosis is the first step for all of us. Treatment has to be based on that. 

I understand why anyone wants to try alternative therapies when they are suffering but I think it should be appraoched with great caution without a diagnosis. best wishes. 

• Posted

Thank you for your post! it´s been a wake up call in many ways! When it comes to medications I have all the time had a suspicion that my symptoms get worse from many kind of medications, even vitamins!

I've considered visiting a dermatologist and have now an appointment in couple of days! 

?Thank you again!

• Posted

Well yes exactly. I have reactions to certain meds and interestingly when I am well and diseaae is controlled I am fine with them. Very odd.

Please remember a deematologist may not be able to diagnose ai disease. May be better with a rheumatologist. Best oc luck. Let us know how you get on. Xx

• Posted

I certainly meant rheumatologist! I´ll definitely do that! Thank you! 

• Posted

You probably know the symptoms of Cystitis (bladder infection) burning when you go to loo. Not nice, the dr will ask you for a sample of the urin, he will then put a taper (thin strip cardboard with coloured squares) the colour of each square after it has been dipped, will inform of any irregularities in the urin. Then I was given a strong dose of Cepholexin. Which not only got rid of Cystitis but allowed be to breath which was a complete surprise. Of course the Cystitis had no connection with my nasal problems though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.