Left side of face huge and disformed from Shingles

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

I was diagnosed 2 days ago and I am probably still a bit in shock as I was ignorant to how common this condition was younger to middle aged people. I have them on the left side of my face over my eye. The blisters dont appear to have opened yet. They are very red. Not much pain. However, there is a ton of pain behind my ear and my face is HUGE on one side. I look extremely deformed. I thought it may be Ramsay Hunt disorder, but its not exactly the same. I feel like I'm being misdiagnosed. Please let me know if anyone has experienced this as well.

Thank you.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Not disformed, deformed. Sheesh.... It's making me lose my mind also.

• Posted

Merry Juliana can probably give you more information than anyone else here since she's had them recurrently on her face, ear, and eye, I think, for 20 years.  Mine were on my hand and arm, so I can't give you much help.  I do know how painful and debilitating shingles can be, so I hope you began taking anti-viral medication within 72 hours.

• Posted

I understand your reaction, there's a lot of misinformation about shingles. Usually a doctor misses the diagnosis of shingles, so I think it's probably correct. As was mentioned, I hope you got the antivirals within 72 hours of diagnosis. Past that they don't do much good. Were you given  Gabapentin or Lyrica? They are the standard meds as they are foe nerve pain. They may also suggest other meds too. Most importantly, rest as much as you can. This is can be a difficult condition, and you need to help your body heal. Keep us posted. BTW, yeah it really can mess with your minds, and your sleep and energy level. And make you nauseated and give you headaches...loads of fun.

• Posted

I work for an ophthalmologist.  Make sure you go to the doctor.  Shingles can cause blindness.
  • Posted

I work for an ophthalmologist.  Make sure you go to the doctor.  Shingles can cause blindness.
  • Posted

My husband had shingles on the left side of face and eye.  He looked deformed and red.  It was horrible.  You need to see an opthamologist ASAP and get on eye steroids and antivirals.  The eye is a very dangerous area to get shingles.  My husband had many complications that could have been prevented if he was treated sooner.  He is doing much better now but it was a long, difficult path.  Be well and be sure you are getting the proper treatment.  Be sure your opthamoligist is familiar with eye shingles...otherwise, find a doctor with the experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.