Left side stroke and heart attack together

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello all, I really want to know your stories. Some time ago my dad, he's 55, suffered a stroke and a heart attack together. As it turned out, it all started in the heart, but somehow he didn't notice and went to his brain. Now 35% of his heart is damaged, there's a blood cloth left is his heart, but they're trying to get it out with medicine as other procedures are too risky due to his condition after stroke. He has trouble with his right hand and some of his face, but he can move everything, walk, he can't talk, only a few words, understands everything and can read and write a little. It's only been two days!

All in all everything is like a miracle. Having in mind he suffered two life threatening events at once and can walk and think and understand is amazing.

I was wondering, has anyone of you suffered something similar? Has your speech recovered?

Thank you

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi

I had a stroke on the brain stem(wallenbergs syndrome/lateral medullary sydrome which is very rare) my main symptoms after it happened was numbness which turned to major nerve pain down the whole right side,opposite hot/cold down right side ie what was hot felt cold to me,face droop,the eye droop (cant remember what its called)could not swallow at all and talking was frustrating as in I knew what I wanted to say but it was hard to pronounce the words.That was back in July 2018.I'm also 55 female.

The face droops took about 5 weeks to improve.

The swallowing took about 3 weeks to improve but very scary thing to deal with,sometimes get a odd episode which causes choking.

My talking improved alot after a week,but still get episodes of slurred speech,and remember words but did get 95% better.

My hot/cold feeling on my right side is also alot better,but still there.Just got to remember to try water with left hand which is hard as Im right handed.

My nerve pain down the whole right side,from shoulder down is still painful,I walk with a limp,but the pills they have me on have helped it,not stopped it but dont think its one that can be controlled with this syndrome they also helped me to be able to get up and get up and down the stairs ok.But its took awhile to get a balance with pills,still waiting on appt with pain management 9 months on!

The trunk of my body on right side is numb,and has now cause problems with my bowels.

I got sent to physio for 6 weeks when they finally agreed with me that the trouble is with the nerves and not muscle.

Had a heart monitor to wear for a week,nothing happened but I do suffer with high blood pressure.

They never did find where the clot had come from.

I hope your dad improves even more,but a stroke is different for everyone as it depends on which part of the brain is damaged.

Take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.