Left sided pain under ribs

Posted , 9 users are following.

My son is 31 and special needs.

For a while now he has been complaining of pain on his left side under ribs. It is to the point now where he sits leaning over to the right hand side. He is also losing weight , his appetite has dropped right off.

Thanks for any ideas. Karen.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen

Sorry to hear about your son. I have a similar problem. Has he been to the doctors?

• Posted

He needs to see a doctor. I have a special needs son too. He never complains about pain. Only if it is unbearable to him. There is the pancreas in the left side and the descending colon. Does he go to the bathroom ok? Constipation? He needs a workup. Blood tests and x-rays. So take him Please.

• Posted

l am going to take him to the hospital in the morning.

He also tolerates a lot of pain without complaining.

Even though he is on strong pain meds for back fractures he still complains about his hip. fractures are healed now.

• Posted

Has his bowel habits changed and does the pain begin after eating? He should try a a food diary to see if a food is the problem. It could be Gastritis or IBS. He will need to see his doctor for tests in order to get a diagnosis.

• Posted

It is there all the time.. He isnt eating much at all. Even drinking has dropped off a bit as well. He has been tested for IBS and sees a dietition for his diet. Bowel habits are still the same as always, takes laxatives every now again because of the pain meds he is on for his back.

• Posted

Does anything make the better or worse such a particular food or stress? You cannot be tested for IBS. The only way to identify it is to rule out other causes. Keep going back to your doctor or change your doctor.

• Posted

We have been under a dietition and done elimination diet for IBS.. Its there all the time and no foods make it worse.

We have had a few things happen so cant pinpoint one thing. He has osteoporosis and has 4 crush fractures in his spine , L1, L2, L4 and T5.

Also he was very close with my brother and parents, living right behind them and seeing them everyday, l am a single parent and they all helped out immensely with him. My brother passed of cancer 18 months ago which he witnessed as we took him to all his app and help look after him. mum and dad never got over the loss of my brother and dad passed at home in April last year which he was there when it happened and then in July we found my mum passed away in her bed at home. He was also with me then so he has had a lot of loss over the past year and a half. When l go to their house now he will not come inside with me he sits in the car in the drive.

• Posted

Stress can cause gut distress. Food isn't always a trigger for IBS. My IBS began after six months of non stop stress. Has your son been tested for other conditions?

• Posted

If he has special needs then he is under medical care. It would be best if you call them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.