left sided pelvic pain and congestion

Posted , 2 users are following.

For the past four and a half months, I have been experiencing pain in my lower left side of the pelvis. Not a bad pain but uncomfortable. It started at the same time I had a few loose bowel movements but they returned to normal very quickly. Sometimes it is more like an ache low in the pelvis, similar to pre menstrual congestion (even though I am 72, I still remember how it felt!). I also get low back ache sometimes, ache in the left leg  and seem to pass a lot of gas particularly in the evenings, when the symptoms seem to be worse. I have had blood tests, stool test and a transvaginal ultrasound. All were normal. All that showed up on an abdo ultrasound was a kidney stone on the left side and a few gallstones. My doctor is baffled. I feel I should have a colonoscopy but not sure the NHS will allow that with my lack of bleeding or other symptoms. I do wonder about pelvic congestion syndrome but would have thought that would show up on the ultrasound. Does anyone else have these symptoms? 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alison. Sorry to hear you have this problem. I'm 74 now and had similar symptoms at your age. My colonoscopy showed Diverticulosis, pouches on the wall of the colon which can flare up and cause diverticulitis which is very painful and needs fast treatment. It also causes gas, pain etc. I also had ovarian cysts which I've since had removed. Both these conditions and kidney stones can cause the symptoms you have. You can ask to be referred for a colonoscopy and also ask if the kidney stone can be removed, laser treatment can be done I think. Anyway, I think you should go back to your GP and ask for these investigations or nothing will be done. We have to persist sometimes in these hard times in the NHS!  good luck, x rolleyes

• Posted

Thanks Pollyanna! Yes, I will be going back if the 'pain' / discomfort continues. That is what the doctor and I agreed I should do. I know from previous ct scans I have had as a follow up for lymphoma that I have diverticlua.  She did say that I should be careful if travelling with a kidney stone in that I should make sure I have good travel insurance. As I don't travel, that is the least of my problems! She also said nothing would be done about the stones at present. It seems unlikely the kidney stone is causing the pain in LLQ as it is a very different type of pain from what I understand. I hope you are feeling better now. It seems you have had a few problems yourself! Thanks again for responding! Stay well! 

• Posted

Hope you get to the 'bottom' of it soon! Sounds like diverticular if it's lower left quadrant. I'm recovering from surgery for pelvic floor prolapse now. It seems never ending. Not sure I'm enjoying my 70's so far, lol wink Take care, let us know how you get on. X rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.