left sided stomach pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, after any advice/opinions please. 

?Ive had G.E.R.D for approx. 12yrs, ive changed my diet to what I believe helps to reduce this as much as possible over this time, I don't drink or smoke, I'm 43 wouldn't consider myself over weight.  I'm also on my maximum medication wise so ive been told. Lansaprozale 30mg twice per day, Rinitidine 150mg twice per day, Buscopan upto 8 per day,& peptic as & when needed but not within 2hrs of Lansaprozale.

?I had an endoscopy 2yrs ago that showed slight inflammation & was put on a strict diet for 8wks that really helped. Ive suffered with terrible bloating over the yrs that throughout the day becomes very painful.

?Three weeks ago I had a PH Manometry 24hr monitor fitted to record my acid.

My question is this, End of November last year I had a bout of terrible constipation for 2wks something that ive never had before. I was given some lactose from my gp to help things along, which thankfully started to happen. But since having the constipation ive had a terrible pain to the left side of my stomach  that was first noticeable after eating, then progressed to when eating to now being there all the time. Its like a dull ache & is worse if I'm sitiing or bending, its ok standing or lying down. The pain does get worse throughout the day.

?I was first told to take paracetomol for the pain, but stopped taking these as they don't help. Ive since had blood tests which all came back ok, ive had urine tests which again are ok. On physical examination I been told nothing of concern is showing.

?I also was quite loose when going to the toilet, my gp advised to up my fibre which I did and has certainly helped with this side of things stools seem ok, but I'm just in constant agony with my stomach, at times my entire stomach feels as though its cramping which I appreciate can be IBS but when I'm already in pain this just doesn't make matters any better.

?I have been told to keep fibre intake up & drink plenty of fluids, & that this maybe a strain from the constipation from back of the end of November going into December, but can the pain take this long? I have now been referred for an ultra sound but looking approx.8wks to have this.

?Any advice would be greatly appreciated,thankyou.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, in my opinion you have this pain because there is too much gas and feces accumulating in your intestine. This leads to accumulation of toxins which might be the reason of the pain and of course also the pressure from the gas is causing pain. I would recommend you to massage your stomach clockwise with the circle movements before you eat and after 2 or 3h after you ate. You should press quite strong with your fingers and palms. This way you will help your digestion a lot. You will help your bowel movements and the gas will get out too. If you will do it regularly your digestive system might stabilize and the pain will go away. Do you still have constipation at the moment? What is your diet like exactly?
  • Posted

Hi

Maybe you don't post here anymore as it was 2 months ago

Thought I'd ask if you ever got an answer because this seems awfully similar to my problems

I went through a period of 2 weeks of pretty bad constipation (Which I put down to painkillers and attempting to give up coffee for a different reason - big mistake) a lot of struggling just to pass some pellets

The constipation passed, I upped my fibre and my BM's seemed to return to..fairly regular (once a day)

However I'm still left with this lower left ache/feeling. Not so much a "pain" more of an annoyance. That is, like yours worse when sitting and not so bad when standing/lying down which I've had for nearly 10 weeks now. I too had blood and urine tests and was briefly poked by a couple of doctors who said it seemed fine. No IBS medication works, painkillers don't really do anything. Its just...annoying and distracting.

Stools seem ok - they float most of the time now but I don't know if thats from gas/anxiety/upped fibre but they seem a normal size/shape/colour/no signs of any blood.

I sort of self diagnosed myself with some sort of low level diverticular disease which obviously may or may not be correct but either way I don't have a solution and I'm awaiting a referral which isnt till the end of May now (bloody NHS!)

If you got any answers it would be great to find out

Thanks

• Posted

Hi John, my apologies for the late reply. Unfortunately & frustratingly I’m still suffering with the same pain & aches. I’ve now had an ultra sound which came back normal. I have now been referred to lower gastrology so hopefully be seen soon,my gp said maybe either colonoscopy or ct scan will be done but he advised me to increase my fibre as he said maybe diverticulous which I thought would of been seen on the ultra sound but looks like maybe not? Some days are worse than others but still it’s constantly there. I will keep you updated, but I really hope you will be on the mend very soon,Dean.

• Posted

Hi Dean

Unfortunately I'm not a great deal further either. I went private in the end and saw a consultant last week. He didn't seem too rushed to send me for any tests and suggested I could have a colonoscopy over the NHS or privately. I've been thinking things through and finally decided to have it private to maybe get some answers / get it out the way and now his secretary has gone on holiday!

He told me he doesn't really expect to find anything and certainly nothing that wouldn't wait for the 8 weeks NHS time, but obviously that doesn't help when we're sat about about with this annoying aches.

I queried if there was any sort of scan or something less.. Invasive he told me there's not really any point because anything that would show up in scans would probably be improved with increased fibre/stool softeners - basically everything im doing already. Which is.. A little bit concerning.

I hoped I could just go have an ultrasound or a ct scan and have some answers but it doesn't sound like that's the way for either of us.

Surely we can't just be suffering from a really long case of ibs?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.