Leg and knee pain with PF

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had PF for a year and a half. Dry needling has helped my foot but I have lots of pain in my hamstrings and back side of my knees(even the other leg). I do yoga and stretch a lot but nothing helps. Has anyone had similar issues and did anything help?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to say , my PF is now 2 yrs old, with all the same discomforts... but ...it has improved! I continue  to stretch my underfoot on a frozen water bottle or hard ball . It is a matter of time, and I continue to follow any and all suggested exercises,  including yoga..The only inserts that work best, and I have purchased several , are gel ones to soften your heel stepping (still use 1-2 as needed) ... and... I make sure I wear good arch support shoes/ sneakers and sandals.. like Keen, Merrill, Brooke’s... that is where you should spend your money! Good Luck... hang in there... I know your pain!
  • Posted

Hi Lena,

I have not had similar issues, but what you might and should focus on is your calves.  Massaging your calves can help a great deal.. as far as loosing them up.. it is no fun having tight calves.  That is what I have been experiencing with my PF.

Good luck!!!

• Posted

Sounds as though your pf is due to tight calf muscles like mine is and the pain is due to the legiment that goes all the way from the knee to the ball of the foot. It is normally most painful just in front of the heel feeling as thought you have stood on a nail or have a sharp stone in your shoe. The pain in the calf is more of an ache as though you have exercised too much and in my case the knee pain is covered by the arthritis pain I have in the knee which is controlled with injections into the knee joint. There are many causes of pf, it can be injury, bone spurs causing inflation. a growth of some kind or just tightening of the ligaments due to age or a change of activity like retirement.  The answer is to stretch the calf ligaments with exercises or a night brace and use thick gel heel pads to cushion the heel and spread the load onto the front of the foot. They also alter the angle of the foot as high heels do which relaxes tension on the ligaments. Some find insoles work well for them as they transfer the weight over the whole sole and I do use some in my ski boots. I find standing on the rung of a ladder helps and rocking on the edge of a stair but we are all different so you have to find what suits you.

I sometimes think mine is cured but walking barefoot soon reminds be it is still there waiting to come back if I stop the exercises or remove the heel pads.   

• Posted

Hi again Lena,

Yes, tight calve muscles. Just focus on that and I am sure that you will feel better.  

So, let me know how it goes for you.. okay?

One of these days your PF and mine will go away.. the sooner the better!!!!

Take care,  Aimee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.