Leg cast off, how long before I can take my first steps?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Okay so i've recently posted about my injury. I'm a few weeks off 16 years old, and fractured my tibia 7 weeks ago. My cast was recently removed, about 3 days ago. I had my cast on for only 6 weeks and 4 days. I'm currently not using an air cast, or anything like that.

I'm curious how long it will roughly be before I will be walking again without support? (At best)(taking my age into consideration)

Right now I can walk with 2 crutches, putting my foot down flat. I'm not in any sort of pain while doing so. I've gained most of my muscle back already, legs are almost the same size right now.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Honestly, muscle acts like a cast if you can do sitting workouts till ur leg muscles return (4,5)days i would put light pressure on it eat vitamin c, drink milk and eat protein like eggs. The muscles are weak after the strength is in them they know ur injured and will try to fix it like you were left in the wilderness. Tightening up to take ok what you lack in strength in that bone.
  • Posted

As for me 6.4 weeks ago i shattered my left calcanious AKA heel bone, needing a plate and 7 screws, fractured my right. I declined the cast. I worked out my right foot in a pace like push ups. Got tire rested, elevated and iced. Repeted. My 2 week check up the orthopedic was amazed that the fractured heel had no sign of the break (which was confermed with several CT scans). After my stitches were removed, I asked the doctor what to do. His reply to me was," Apparently you know your body better than I." Two weeks after the stitches were removed I started to work out my foot, I keep my crutches close and aircast on when i walk. But I am able to limp with little pain without any assistance. What hurts is the swelling from the lack of elevation and ice. Not bad for a 35yr, not a amazing appetite and tobacco user. I wouldnt use tobacco and eat right and in two weeks of eating right and small exercising you'll be back. Be patient and dont push your luck. Vitamin C, milk, eggs. Best of luck bud.

Crippled with yea Mark

• Posted

haha, thanks very much. Congratz on your own progress, and thanks for the tips. I didn't have to get surgery or anything like that, however being in a cast is horrible and boring over summer. My main problem is going to school in crutches, I hate it with a passion. I'm from the uk so I have to wear a uniform, with a blazer.... sad(( Thanks again for the tips. Wish you the best of luck your your leg.

• Posted

Also, you're thinking it will be hopefully 2 weeks from getting my cast off before I can walk?

• Posted

Yea work you muscles not go to the gym. Us a ace bandage on your foot hold both ends loop it over your foot and use little resistance and if it hurts stop the use of crutches are a bonus for the aid of learning the funtion of walking
    • Posted

I am in the US, i understand the crutches i havent worked in the time I have been injured. I will give a update next wends. I have a appointment.
    • Posted

Okay I have some interesting news. Roughly about an hour ago I walked for a bit. The walk was awkward, I was basically shuffling a bit/limping a bit. I could probably improve my walking but i'm not sure wether I should. I've only had the cast off a few days and i'm wondering if i'm pushing a bit much. I get little, to no pain when doing this slight walking thing. Judging by how you handled your leg you seem to know a lot about this. Can you tell me 1. Am i okay to do this? and 2. how can I decrease the time before I can walk again? Like the fastest possible way. I really want to be walking asap

• Posted

I found a warm bath. More than likely what ur feeling is called atrophy, its when your muscles that were there turn to mush. Like the clear jell in a roast. You need to work them. Upside down bicycling movement will slowly gain your mobility back threw muscle memory. Your forgot how to use your legs. Take it easy do the bicycling to get your hip muscles back then for calf use ace, towel, or rope and do those excercises. The bone is week but this will help with the "I look like i am Evolving. " walk.no soccer or ass kicking contest till around 3 weeks no cast to play it safe. I use my crutches as a safty net. I walk with them and when i tire i use them. Push yourself. Not to bone pain but muscle pain is good to push

• Posted

ok, thank-you. The muscles do feel a bit mushy, but the like shuffling walk thing isn't because of anything like that I don't think. The weird walk is because i'm not sure wether to take proper steps yet, if i'm ready.

• Posted

Take it slow dont take ibprophen only Tylenol or acetaminophen. Ib prophen stops bone grouth. Take the first couple days slow with crutches under arms but allow your foot to take some pressure you are the only one that can feel your bone if u feel a slight pain in the area were the break accured ease off for a day. If not slowly ease into it dont start running walk slow and cautiously. Like getting in a cold pool.
    • Posted

Ok thanks. I've made sure not to take ibprophen, or anything like that. I haven't experienced much pain at all, however when I feel slight pain it's like coming from like the middle of my foot, even though my break was in the lower tibia. Haven't used any painkillers whatsoever either.

• Posted

My ankle hasn't swelled up by the way, or atleast it hasn't any noticeable swelling. Thought I might add this.

• Posted

If you soke it in Epson salt the swelling should go down. Its the pain were it was broke you need to worry about. Dont do stainious like pressure on ur break no running, kicking, jumping climbing, hiking. Just tak a week slow. Then slowly challenge your self.
    • Posted

Oh, no i'm saying I haven't noticed any swelling. I'm not doing sport for roughly another 6 weeks. Right now my goal is to walk. I usually don't feel pain when walking/shuffling, but when i do it's like in the bottom, center of my foot, rather where the break was which was in the bottom of my tibia, ankle reigion but leg bone.

• Posted

You have gotten your muscle back after 3 days ? How? I hope mine come back quickly. I have lost quat and calf muscle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.