Leg cast off. Now in boot need advice pls

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had my cast off yesterday after 5 weeks and now have a walking boot that I can walk with using crutches

The doctor told me I'm all healed but need to wear the boot for 3 weeks and

I can take it off when resting bathing and going to bed then

The man in the cast room that put my boot on said to wait a few days then try walking around the house without it on has anyone done this

Is this right or does the doctor mean on all the time when walking I didn't think to ask 🙁

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I had my cast taken off yesterday too, and put into a air boot. My consultant told me to do light walking with crutches. And to elevat and ice now and again if I been using a bit. Also said I could take off when resting and could sleep without it but to make sure it was put back on as soon as I needed to walk around even to ho to the bathroom. Next appointment is in 4 weeks, to perhaps talk about physio. I don't think you should be walking without the boot unless it has come from your doctor and not the plaster nurse, as they don't get to see how the work and knitting of bones are healing. Hope on your nxt visit. Like mine we will be given the news to try without support. Wishing you well. Sx

• Posted

Hi Lisa,  What good news for you.  I was so happy when I got out of my NWB cast and could shower without plastic wrap. However, I could NOT walk without my boot.  My doctor even wanted me to wear the boot to bed so that I wouldn't be tempted to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom without the boot.  I didn't have crutches.  I had a walker and during the 3 to 4 weeks in the boot I transitioned each week to more and more pressure on my broken foot.  At first I was putting little pressure on my foot and most on my hands on the walker.  In the final week I had full and equal pressure on both feet and no pressure on my hands.  I simply used my hands to gently push the walker forward as I walked.  I found that I was kind of limping, not because of pain but because my foot with the boot was higher than my foot in a normal shoe.  It sounds like you are making a great recovery.  Keep it up and follow your doctors orders.  BTW it was horrible to sleep in my boot.  I put a pillowcase over the boot when I was in bed because I didn't want to be cleaning the boot bottom every night.  When I was "released" to go to physical therapy I was so happy because I could use my right foot and DRIVE!

• Posted

Hey

Glad you have now recovered. I have 3 weeks in the boot then go back I still have swelling in my ankle And my foot is purple the doctor didn't seem worried about that. I just don't no what to expect I'm just so scared all the time that I'm going to do damage. I no he said it's healed but still so worried.

Is the swelling normal it's quite tight how long does it last I'm just full of questions and ifs n buts

• Posted

I was also scared all the time about not healing properly and that's why I did everything that my doctor told me to do.  Yes my foot and ankle was swollen and my foot was purple and the purple kept moving around to different places.  My boot was adjustable so that I could loosen it if I have swelling. You are going great.  It just takes longer than we wish it would take and it is scarry!

• Posted

Hi lisa. I think we all go through this. My worries have been the same. I gave also been so frightened about the plates as I can feel them not so much since getting the cast removed. As I think the vast was put on tight. Swelling is. Normal as I asked my consultant every question under the sun I think lol. I have very severe anxiety and panic attacks and need to know everything.... But still panic. So rest assured what your experiencing is normal. Sx
    • Posted

Hi I have worried constantly it's been horrendous. I normally just get on with it with anything else but this ankle break has knocked me big time.

Did the doctor say much about the swelling and how long it lasts did u ask about stiffness too I don't understand how the boot doesn't prolong the stiffness ?

• Posted

It is very scary how long did your swelling last and also stiffness
    • Posted

Everything I asked about I got told it was normal. Swelling had been bad for me even when I haven't had my foot down. But my worries was always about the metal work as I can feel it. He told me that the plates I have on the one side is big due to the breaks being bad. His answer was... It's not supposed to be there, so will feel different. I didn't really have stiffness while in cast. But can see something happening while in this flipping boot. It's giving a lot of sore spots, on heel and sides of the ankle. The edge of the brace is sticking into the scars on both side as they line up to where the cuts are... So that's painful. So as soon as I'm sat I release the air and undo the strapping. Plus I find the boot really hot for my toes. Just not nice at all. And got it for another 4 we're!!!! This had been the worst time of my life. I can tell you.

😔. Sx

• Posted

Yeah mine too and I didn't have surgery so can't imagine how you feel I can take the boot off when sitting bathing and sleeping I only have to have it on when walking. It's not an air one it's a rocker boot. Still a bloody pain 🙁

• Posted

I feel your pain.  I didn't have to have plates or surgery but I was so glad to get out of that NWB cast and into the air boot I thought I died and went to heaven.  UNTIL the first night when I had to sleep in the boot.  It was so painful I cried.  I was going to call the doctor in the morning and tell him I wanted a weight bearing cast and not this horrible boot!  I experimented the next day and ended up with 1. no hard plastic face plate on the boot. 2. no air and 3. looser straps especially the one at the ankle.  Also, drugs.  I survived and without hot toes.  You will survive too. The time seems really long when it's in front of you but when it's all over and your healed it's not as bad.  That will happen.  I had never broken a bone and at 69 I wished I had been doing something fun like sky diving not just walking down a few steps!  I thought it was the worst time of my life too but now that it's over I hope that's true.

• Posted

Thank you. Yes us oldies who are going through this. I'm 60 but feel 80. I only said to my son as I was struggling to come up the stairs @ 11pm last night.... If this had to happen then thank God it did now, coz if I had been any older it would be more than a struggle to get around. God how I wish I had been able to keep myself fit, but with very very painful back, it has limited me. But always kept myself fit up until I was rushed into hospital 8years ago, and never ever recoverd 100% left boot off last night. So I've woke up to a nice painfree foot..... For a while anyway. Sx

• Posted

WooHoo a pain free foot.  I hope that continues for you.  What's up with your back?  My husband has back problems that come and go.  Seems like when ever I get sick or have an injury he develops something like I have but much worse..........is that just cause he's a man?? haha

• Posted

Yes it's great being free. Just annoying that you have to keep putting it back on before you can do anything. Just can't leave it too late for the loo. Lol. I've never has answer for my back, as docs don't know why it's giving me probs. I was taken into hospital 9 yrs ago can't remember the first 2weeks as I was dosed up on meds. In for 6 weeks, where I got told on week 3 that I had sepsis!!! But that wasn't he back problem. So here I am 9 yrs dwn the line and still no answer. I've been living with Tenn's machine for yrs but did start physio and acupuncture which was painful but was starting to help, then this happens so I've gone backwards.

😔. Men's probs always worse than ours lol sx

• Posted

Sounds like your Dr meant you to wear at all times resting bed and bathing, bootroom attendants are not qualified to give you medical advice I wouldn't think, if in doubt contact your DR's secretary and ask the question, better not to do anything without good advice.

Mine would be not to walk without it till your told different

• Posted

Hey. Yh that's what I thought that's why I thought I'd ask as there plaster room staff so don't no how much they are allowed to tell you. I'm going to listen to doctors orders and only have it off when resting bathing and bed

• Posted

I think that's a good plan, you can ice it and if you have swelling then I suggest cool salt water and then raise it above heart, that will help with pain, swelling will be an ongoing thing until your completely mobile again because your blood is pumped up your leg by the muscles and no exercise means your not pumping it up away from feet, also make sure your fluid levels are kept up

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.