Leg cramps

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi all , I am now 10 months post-op and up until two weeks ago my knee was been healing really well and my progress has been good since my RTKR but now I'm starting to get charlie horses/ leg cramps at night they've been happening for the last 2 weeks I was wo,ndering if anybody else has had this happen and is it related to the knee replacement ? I hope you have some suggestions on why it's happening and how I can make it better thanks to all of you for being there and for all your advice

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm over a year now on both knees. I also get leg cramps and find eating bananas helps. I think the cramps are from low potassium

You could take a pill, but I prefer natural don't think it's related to tkr because I got them before. Good luck

• Posted

Kathy thanks for the info I will definitely talk to my doctor about getting those pills

• Posted

HI Coleen

im 8 months post op from my 2nd knee replacement. I started getting bad cramp at nights after about 4 months, my GP gave me Quinnine Sulphate tablets and they really helped. He told me that it was a common problem after lower joint surgeries. I still have the tablets on prescription as my knee has seized i still can get cramp so i take it every night.

Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

kindest regards

Kerrie

• Posted

get some magnesium oil and rub in every day , since doing this I havent had a cramp for years. I dont know if its anything to do with op, I'm about same time frame after mine and all going fine too. Cramps are a sign of low magnesium

• Posted

I started having cramps bad around 6 to 8 weeks after tkr and I was told by doctors and therapist that the muscles and nerves in my legs have to heal and that is a very common feeling in tkr. I also go to water aerobics!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.