Leg cramps and Charlie horse

Posted , 6 users are following.

i had my first tkr in 2017 and second one almost 5 months ago. i'm doing well but lately ive had strange cramps in my legs. My foot cramps, toes separate and sometimes its more like a charlie horse. Anyone else deal with cramping???

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

RTKR in April after a few weeks developed tremors deep in the muscles that would then cause the whole leg to tremble culminating in spasms that would make my knee to involuntarily spasm bending back toward my bum. It would freeze that way excruciating pain. Husband would have to straighten it out for me extending it straight and massage to ease the muscles and relieve the pain. happened several times a night. No sleep. Surgeon had no clue nor did PT. I tried acupuncture muscle relaxers etc to no avail.

Primary care dr put me on ropinerol 1 mg a month ago and that has mitigated the problem. last week tried to go off the Ropinerol and it came back that night. So for now that is my answer.

Good luck with that and may I ask were you on Tramadol for pain post surgery?

Jane

• Posted

Hi Jane ....i am having a RTKR in 2 weeks. i have been advised that the revision is a longer and slower healing process. What was your experience? They are replacing my TKR that was done 9 months ago.

• Posted

I don't know what revision is. What are they replacing?

• Posted

I had the same problem! To get some sleep, I slept in a heavy duty knee brace (with medal hinges on both sides of knee, you shouldn't be able to bend knee with this kind of brace) for about a month. As soon as I got home from work, I put that brace on, bc if I fell asleep for a second, my knee would lock up.

• Posted

Jean the R in RTKR stands for Right knee.I am so very sad for you that you have to go through this again. Will keep you in my prayers.

jane

• Posted

Hello I had my TKR in May. If I have been sitting for a while leg fairly straight my knee begins to spasm and cramp. The only way I can get relief is to apply pressure and walk ( hobble ) until it slowly eases. Sometimes pins and needles set in but I always have some pain in that knee. Trying to get comfortable in bed it spasms as well . I was on Codeine and paracetamol for 4 months, now just paracetamol . My leg doesnt feel like my leg it feels slightly unstable and hard. As I wont take stronger pain meds I have been told to keep walking and aim for Christmas for improvement.

• Posted

Yes, I experienced severe cramps, to a point where my knee locked up, was scary and painful. I got myself into PT to work on restoring my mobility. You have to follow your regular excerices daily. Of all the home remedies for cramps, the best product I found and still use is "Theraworx" and I used ginger oil for inflammation. I hope this helps.

• Posted

R STANDS FOR REPLACEMENT

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.