Leg elevation

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone. I am 2 weeks post left TKR and am lucky enough that at this point I am doing extremely well with good bend and extension, no swelling, and virtually no pain. My achiness (requiring a vicodin to get rid of) only occurs when I have been sitting in a chair for no longer than an hour. Elevating the leg after it gets to this point does no good, only pain meds work. My question is how long will I have to spend all my time sitting on the couch or with my leg propped on something?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Deborah, sounds like you really are doing very well. Count your blessings for no swelling and virtually no pain. Try icing knee while elevating it. I find this gives some relief.  Elevate your leg while sitting may prevent the aching from starting.  I am four weeks out come Tuesday and still spend a lot of time elevating my foot and Iceing. I am experiencing nerve pain on top of the aching pain which keeps me on hydrocodone every four hours. have good bend and good extension also but the swelling around the knee is holding me back. I am told that it could take weeks or months for the swelling to go down or the nerve pain to stop.  I can only stay up  for a couple hours during the peak hour of my meds.  TKR takes a year to totally heel.  Take it one day at a time.  You are doing good
  • Posted

well they say dont sit too long ,dont stand too long dont walk too far  i think this is good advice when your early in the  recovery   , it seems to me your doing very well bend and straightening going fine and little swelling id say that is sucess .  dont sit too long with leg propped up unless you have to instead get out and have a little walk and maybe go for a coffee most of all be happy you have a successfull op
  • Posted

Well . . you are doing so incredibly well!   Very hard for most of us to know how long your recovery is going to take, as you seem to be at the point many of us reached at about eight weeks!  I can only suggest keeping it moving,  walking, and avoiding sitting for too long  . . .My surgeon told me there were people who recovered so quickly, and to tell the truth I didn't believe him, but here you are!!!  And don't be afraid to take the pain meds when you need them!
  • Posted

So far you are doing GREAT and better than I was doing at that point.

I had LOTS of swelling, and NOTHING seemed to help but TIME PASSING!

I found that if I got up and did some laps around my house every half hour or so I felt better. I also did and CONTINUE to do ankle and foot pumps as I am sitting or when I have my feet up. I guess I rarely am completely motionless. Movement just keeps the stiffness from taking hold.

I haven't taken anything stronger than Tylenol or now Ibuprofen since about three weeks post surgery. My body reacts strangely to most medication.

You are doing well. Be patient and kind to yourself. You have been through A LOT!!!

• Posted

There is no specific timetable for anything with this surgery. Your body will tell you when have hit certain benchmarks and you can go beyond. As long as you are excercising and doing the rest of the program you are on schedule. Just remember to rest. Pushing yourself beyond current limits can cause setbacks that are difficult to over come later on.
  • Posted

Your last sentence says it all OFG. I don't want to push so far that I backslide. I guess I jjust have to experiment and see what works best for me. What a concept!😄

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.